advice in importing a classic from USA

I wanted to buy a car and import in my coutry (Italy).

Italy has no rules in favour of vintage and classic cars, so customs and VAT are the same for cars of any age (35% of declared value total). It was told to me that there are some EC countries with different rules, i.e. UK customs+VAT in this case (older than 25) are about 5% total. Am I misinformed?

there are then other details like the subject owner of the car, RHD/LHD etc, but this will be subject for another post...:-))

bye, Stefano.

Reply to
Stefano Guglia

Stefano Guglia ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.it) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yep. There's no customs duty for any car coming from the EU into the UK, and for a used car, there's no VAT.

Other than that, the annual car tax is the same for any car made after

1/1/73. Before that, it's free.
Reply to
Adrian

Hi Stefano

There is a lesser rate for some cars coming into the UK from non EU countries. It is 5% of the value Customs put on the car and also 17.5% VAT on the shipping costs.

You have to have all the paperwork in position first to get the reduced rate but more importantly it has to be of Collectors or Historic interest.

What kind of car are you thinking of bringing over? If you're serious and let me know what kind of car it is I can have a word with Customs and see if it comes under their reduced tarriff.

Once in the UK you can take it to Italy free from any taxes under EU rules. I do know of a Dutch guy that did this as their taxes were much higher than here. He bought a car in from Africa.

Hope that helps

Regards

Andy

1908 Hillman-Coatalen 1924 Darracq 12/32 1930 Berliet Taxi
Reply to
Splashlube

..from USA, Adrian. UK seems to be in EU, so EU rules..

Reply to
Stefano Guglia

hi Andy,

so this way no VAT on the value of the car?

say MB 196x 190SL or 197x 230SL. Most depends on the best value for money when I will inspect the cars of my interest locally. Will intend to come back from USA with my new old car in the bag.

but I guess that the buyer has to be a UK resident citizen

thank you, Andy.

bye, stefano.

Reply to
Stefano Guglia