Advice on battery acid

Hi, I have just bought two! new dry batteries for my MGA and some bottles of acid.

Can anyone suggest what precautions I should take.

My wife shall be getting nitrile gloves for me and I shall at last find a use for the lab coat saved from school 20 years ago. I'll dig out some goggles.

I'm planning to fill them outside, with the kids out of the way.

Do I need to charge the filled batteries before use, or are they ready to go?

thanks

dan

Reply to
Dan Smithers

Seems to me that you're taking all reasonable precautions already. If you spill any acid, wash it off with plenty of water, it concentrates as its water content evaporates and splashes will burn through clothing eventually .

They are supplied 'dry charged' so they should be ready to go.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Are there not instructions provided?

You can't charge an 'empty' battery. No current can flow without the electrolyte. They are usually supplied 'dry charged'.

If the acid you've got is concentrated (SG 1.835) this is a pretty good guide :-

You need an SG of 1.260

Slowly add 1 part of acid to 3.2 parts of distilled water in a glass container, stirring as you go using a glass rod. DO NOT add water to acid.

Leave to settle for a few hours then trickle charge overnight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is *very* important. You stand a real risk of getting boiling acid in your face if you do.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

No instructions.

I was thinking of after filling with electrolyte.

The acid that I got is 38% (1.28 S.G.) from memory.

I remember the "add acid to water not water to acid".

What about disposal of the evidence (bottles). Can I just throw them away, or should I rinse them in a bucket of water first?

Reply to
Dan Smithers

*All* the sulphuric acid I've ever received with new batteries¹ for my MGB, is already mixed to the correct specific gravity. No supplier in their right mind is going to ship concentrated H2SO4 direct to the public. ¹ Three pairs now since 1982.
Reply to
Ian Edwards

Ah - sorry, misread your post.

That's fine to use as is. But make sure your memory is correct. I know mine seldom is. ;-)

1.28 SG is correct for a dry charged battery - the SG of a fully charged one ranges from 1.270 - 1.290

Giving them a good rinse in plenty water won't harm. Just use a plastic bucket. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Adding to whats been said!

The supplied acid should be the correct concentration just to fill the batteries.

Buy yourself a battery hydrometer and check the charge, if its not fully charged then top them up with a battery charger.

Safety, if you do happen to spill the acid just dilute it with lots of water. Plus wash the battery tops off after you fill them.

Service the battery boxes before you replace the batteries.

Oh! BTW you forgot the safety eyeware.

Rob

I didn't know that. I have always bought batteries already filled.

It doesn't do any harm to advise playing safe though.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of wearing the goggles on top of my head to ;-)

Reply to
Dan Smithers

Goggles?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Missed that in the first instance - thanks Dave :)

Reply to
Rob.