Advisability of driving Borg Warner without prop?

I've got a RR 200Tdi with a BW xfer box, the front prop is ducked (specifically it's in about 4 pieces, two of which are on the road somewhere). I know the LT230 shouldn't be driven far/fast with the difflock on, what about the BW box? is it likely to be affected in any way?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Problem with using any 4x4 on the road with the centre diff locked is that you'll get "wind-up" from slight differences in the rate of rotation of the front and rear prop-shafts, due to slight differences in tyres sizes, and from slight differences in distance travelled due to the different lines the front and rear take on corners.

With the front prop-shaft removed, that won't be a problem.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah bugger, I've got a spare front prop but it's for the earlier transfer box.

Reply to
Pete M

DON'T DO IT!

Seriously, it's ok with an LT230 transfer box to run with it locked and no front prop (notwithstanding the "strange" handling characteristics), but not a Borg-Warner, due to the internal viscous coupling. As there will be no resistance to the front output shaft rotating faster than the rear, the torque of the engine will overcome the viscous and essentially fry it in a very short time.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger