Aerosol paint for old Morris ?

HI Folks Can anybody recommend a supplier for aerosol paint (specifically Almond Green) for my '64 Morris Traveller ?

Mail-order essential (to Ireland) - online presence even better!

The old girl's had a fairly poor 'blow over' paintjob before I got her - and the rust is starting to come though in places - the pain't just too thin in others. I have a touch-up pot of paint - but my brush application isn't good enough for anything other than the smallest chips

- and there's a couple of panels that really ought to be rubbed down and resprayed.

It's only a stopgap measure - as there's a fair bit of rustworm in the wings - but it'd be nice to put off the cost & effort of replacement parts as long as possible.

Colour is Almond Green, by the way.

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
adrian

It's cellulose too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - thanks! They don;t recognise Morris as a manufacturer - but email enquiry duly sent......

It might be a chance to paint the rear roof 'properly' - it's made from ali and has a rather odd 'dried-out-mudflats' appearance, apparently due to the wrong primer having been used..

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
adrian

You might consider getting a HVLP spray set if you've got a lot to do - I've had quite impressive results using cellulose with my Apollo.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is there a paint code you can quote them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What a handy website. I have bookmarked it, because I don't need it yet but might in the future. For some reason unexplained, my Morris was resprayed by the previous owner in an obscure Vauxhall colour which isn't included in the range available from Halfords. Paints4u has it though.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Same here. I'm rather alarmed to see that the price of cellulose seems to have gone up by 50% since I last bought some, but that just shows how long since I sprayed the Triumph. I take it their prices (32 quid a litre) are pretty standard?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Last time I bought cellulose was some 4 years ago, and IIRC cost 30 quid a litre for plain black then - but good quality paint. You could get cheaper then, but it didn't work so well here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ta, I've updated my perceptions accordingly. Intend to do the Rovers this summer if I can get my act together. Daily driver needs tidying and project car may as well be the same colour too, so that I can swap panels around.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Hi Dave

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I had to look up HVLP - ah - now I see what it's all about....

I'm not really sure how 'involved' I want to get with all this - there's a vehicle paint shop down in the village - I guess it might be worth seeing what sort of money they'd be wanting to do the job..

I suppose I could do the prep work for them, and just leave them to put the final colour coats on....

We're a one-car household, and don;t have a garage - so spraying would be very much dependant on finding a calm day (not that easy out here!) - maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew...?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
adrian

They came back to me with GN37 - which is apparently the right colour...

Adrian

Reply to
adrian

An HVLP gun will work rather better than aerosols outside.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You will be very lucky to find a day that is calm enough - even a very slight breeze or somebody walking past is enough to carry dust into the finish. My local paint shop locks all outside doors before spraying just in case someone opens it and dust is carried in.

Then you have the problem of anybody in the area breathing in your overspray, which could be a health hazard for anyone with a weak chest.

I would work on the assumption that the final coats cannot be done outdoors, and if you haven't got a friend or neighbour who will let you use their garage, then making a deal with the paint shop would be your best bet.

He of course will not want to guarantee the finish if he hasn't done the preparation, but that doesn't mean you cant get a good result between the two of you.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

My standards are probably lower than yours, but I had no problems with dust when I sprayed my Vitesse outside a few years back. I damped down the surrounding area with a hose before starting and chose the right sort of day. The only problems were a couple of small insects, which wasn't bad considering it was becoming a pale yellow car which attracts flies a lot in sunny weather.

Does 2-pack take longer to go off than cellulose? Could be a factor for a professional set-up.

I'd be very reluctant to borrow anyone else's garage for spraying - I'd feel the need to curtain it all off to prevent overspray landing on their walls, tools, etc. And my own would be dustier than outdoors. Also, I find it so much easier to work where there's loads of space. There's much less chance of accidentally brushing against or dragging the airline across a freshly painted panel.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

They mostly use water based these days - and it takes much longer to dry, requiring a filtered oven to do so. Hence it's not suitable for home use.

I had my SD1 resprayed a couple of years ago using water based and had a tour of the spray booth. It's black - and the paint seems to be holding up pretty well. I'd heard horror stories about its use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)