Alfa 33 Cylinder Head Removal

I need to remove the cylinder head on my Alfa 33 16v.

Does anyone know if I can remove the R/H head (Cylinders 1 & 3) without removing the engine from the car?

If not, could I lower the engine and twist it far enough to lower the cylinder head and remove it off the bolts?

Can anyone (who's done this delicate trick) please let me know in the next couple of days?

Many thanks

Adam H

(Those who've seen my previous post will understand why I'm doing this!)

Reply to
Alfa Adam

Adam

I'm happy to be corrected on this but in my experience - it ain't gonna happen. I gather it's (just) possible with the 8 valve units. I tried every way you could think of (and quite a few you probably can't) to remove the cylinder head without dropping the engine in my 16V - in the end I had to bite the bullet and remove the block and gearbox. I justified it to myself by turning a negative into a positive and, while the engine and box were out, I renewed everything in sight.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Mike

'82 Alfetta GTV (Former 33 16V owner)

P.S. You probably know this already, but if you do decide to remove the engine and box, it's easier to drop the unit onto the floor and lift the body shell over them rather than pull them out through the engine bay (sorry if that was stating the obvious)

Reply to
Mike Anthony