Alternator type LRA101

Hi. My car is listed as fitted with a Lucas 17ACR alternator. The alternator fitted at some point in the cars life is marked as a LRA101.

Looking on the net some sources say the LRA101 has 34 amp output, which I believe to be equivelent to the 16ACR, whilst others say it has a 43 amp output which is equivelent to the 17ACR. Can anyone confirm which is really is?

I'm looking to upgrade the alternator to an 18ACR, (45 amp output). Any idea as to the LRA code equilelent? Would it be 105?

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian Winter

LRA101 is definitely the Lucas replacement equivalent of the 17ACR. I know, because I've just had to replace the alternator on my Capri.

Having said that, all of my workshop manuals, which include two Ford factory manuals, list the output of the 17ACR as 35 amps.

Your best bet is probably to find a Lucas Service dealer. They're called LSUK nowdays. I found my nearest one to be very helpful, and a lot cheaper than their resellers.

Reply to
Philip Stokes

The output of the 17ACR is 35 amps the LRA 101 is just a factory rebuilt ACR17. The output of the 17ACR was more than adequate for any car to which it was fitted, it would happly churn out full charging voltage even with a full load on, unlike the 16ACR which struggled even with the demmands of a Mini with an HRW. Remember electrical loads on 1970s cars were much lower than they are on modern cars.

Fitting an 18ACR is of little or no value as I undestand it the only difference between the 17 and 18 was the regulator the windings were similar.. If you must have large alternator get the later style of Lucas-Magneti Marelli fitted to the Metro and Rover 214 and some Ford models if you get one from Rover 214 change the pulley for one from a Ford or Metro as the pulley from an ACR series wont fit.

With any Lucas alternator the main weak spot apart from plain wear and tear on the brushes and regulator failure was the 3 blade connecting plug which were prone to arcing -- this would often incorrectly diagnosed as a duff alternator, fitting a new alternator would apparently cure the fault for 2 months or so after which it would return.

Reply to
AWM

If you, or anyone, wants a high output alternator to replace your LRA 101 here is your answer.

The British built Nissan Bluebird (chassis code T72) had fitted as standard a Lucas A127 alternator which replaced the ACR without modification apart from a pulley required fron a Fiesta or similar. Output is 65 amps. More than adequet for your application. Some even had 73 amps (rare).

I have these available, secondhand tested as perfect, with pulley change included for £25 plus postage, how many do you want? Discount for quantity!

Dixie

Reply to
dixie

Rover 820 used the 73 amp one, the Disco uses an even bigger one 85 amps I think, it must take about 5 hp to drive it not recommended for use with a single v belt, the Metro and Rover 214 sized one is a better bet..

Reply to
AWM

85 amps is just over a kilowatt at 12 volts. There are 746 watts per horsepower. Alternators are typically better than 90% efficient. It's almost certainly the combination of the fan and alternator or the wrap that's causing the problem. My car has an 110 amp alternator, but uses a grooved belt (which also does the fan) as most do these days, although it has automatic tensioning via a jockey pulley.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , Dave Plowman writes

I believe this statement to be grossly inaccurate. I need to check with a friendly local expert, but I'm fairly sure the type of machine currently used is well below that.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

Dave Plowman realised it was Mon, 15 Sep 2003

22:37:55 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

Dammit, that's interesting. I didn't know that.

So in which part of France do they live, then?

Reply to
Yippee

Parice

Reply to
Philip Stokes

Well, any inefficiency will be heat, and alternators don't have massive cooling arrangements which they would need if they had to dissipate killowatts. Tis true some modern car alternators are water cooled, though, but I'd say this would further improve their efficiency.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , Robert Pearce writes

And having checked I find that 90% is top spec... for a next generation

42V machine. Current alternators are around 75%
Reply to
Robert Pearce

In article , Dave Plowman writes

The figures I dug up were quoted as peak efficiencies under optimum conditions. Incidentally, this is actually at significantly less than maximum output.

Extremely unlikely - the fan is solidly coupled, so it will lose the same power whether it really _needs_ to be cooling the alternator or not. And under-bonnet air flow is generally too turbulent to make any difference.

No, but your calculations were biased. If we take 14V (since that's what a 12V system really runs at) and 120 amps (normal for a large car such as a Rover 75, and even for a Ford Focus) and 75% efficiency, we get

2.2kW, or 3hp. So somewhere between your estimate and AWM's figure (which I had taken to be slightly hyperbolic in the context).
Reply to
Robert Pearce