Another "cherished number" question

Sorry, but the previous threads reminded me :-)

30 years ago, my Grandfather had a 1962 Riley Elf or Wolseley Hornet with a "dateless" registration number - ####RU. In the mid '70s it was scrapped and the numberplate transferred to his other car.

When my Grandfather passed away in 1989, my Dad inherited his car (a

1981 Daimler) with the numberplate. In 1991 the car was sold with a disclaimer on the receipt that the number was NOT included in the sale, although the new owner could keep it on the car until we wanted it back... which for some reason my Dad never got around to doing.

Now, I would like to try and reclaim this number - but I have no idea of the whereabouts of the owner. The DVLA were rather unhelpful about it too.

Any ideas how I can get the owner, the current keeper of the car, or even see if the car is still around? Or just accept the fact that the number is lost forever?

Bit of a lost cause, but worth a shot :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Well I guess you'd have the same problem I have, in that first off you'd need a car to transfer it onto - you couldnt get it on a retenetion since thats non transferable. More to the point though, is there any VALUE in it? I had a quick look on the dealers site where we got our plates, and while any dateless plate appears to have value, it didnt indicate that you'd get a lot for it.

As for finding the owner though, I read a message further up this newsgroup about tracing a car and how to do it - the DVLA apparently will tell you for a fee

Reply to
michelle

Howard Rose ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You can see if the plate's about and what it's currently on quite easily. Go to the RAC website, and there's a "vehicle data check" which will show you.

" Hello, you don't know me, but you've got a registration number that my dad lent to the guy who sold it to the guy who sold it to the guy who sold it to you 15 years ago. I'd like it back, please. Hello? Hello? That's not very polite, is it? "

Reply to
Adrian

They need a good reason. I wanted to trace a car recently, and they couldn't give me the information I wanted.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

"Dear DVLA, I returned to my parked car and found a note under the windscreen from a bystander who saw Vehicle reg. no. ABC123A hit it. Damage was caused to my vehicle and I wish to recover my expenses in repairing it. Please give me the information to pursue the owner of that vehicle in the civil courts. Ta Michelle"

Reply to
michelle

"Dear Michelle, That vehicle was crushed in a scrapyard in Bolton in 1984. Are you on drugs? lots of love, The DVLA"

Reply to
Ben Blaney

"Yo, DVLA dudes, Bugger, someone must have ringed it first. Or maybe that bystander woz illitrit. Hugs Michelle"

Reply to
michelle

At least you got the informantion you wanted.

:-)

Reply to
® 619 ®

About 2 grand to be precise ;-) But I don't want it for the money, I've got a car to transfer it to. The plate is also very close to my

1962 Mini.

The DVLA were very unhelpful, I'm afraid.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

It comes up on the AA car data check, but not the RAC one. The AA site also shows it to still be on the car my Dad sold...

heh, at least I could say I tried :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

You have a '62 mini? The old man has a '61 minivan ;o)

Reply to
michelle

"Dear Michelle, We at the DVLA want to help you. We'll tell you anything you want if you can point us to some naked pictures of you on the internet. Post the URL to uk.rec.cars.classic. Yours with the horn, The DVLA"

Reply to
Ben Blaney

michelle ( snipped-for-privacy@zzzxxxzzz.null) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to