Anyone know where I might find a Volvo PV544

As per subject. Fancy sympathetically modifying one, if they aren't too rare.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Try up north in .se - they still seem to be moderately frequent there. Not as common as 12x or 14x Volvos, but when I was up there for 10 days at the end of last summer there were certainly 2 or

3 which I saw around the town most days. Still in use as daily drivers, too - or so far as I could tell. They should be solid, too

- roads are unsalted up there (not much point when it's -20 or less!).

The cars which seemed to have become rare up there over the last

7-odd years are the 95/96 Saabs. Used to be plenty of 'em around, but I only saw one. The old Volvos seem to be hanging on better.
Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

NeedforSwede2 ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sweden.

PVs are *everywhere* in Sweden. Think "Moggy Thou" here.

Reply to
Adrian

Andrew Robert Breen ( snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not even that far north. We saw started seeing 'em as soon as we got out of Stockholm. In Dalarna they were damn near common.

Reply to
Adrian

Cheers Adrian.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Thanks Andrew. As ytou can guess, being a Saab drivers, I like my Swedish safety, but fancy something RWD and a little more "hot roddy" than a convertible FWD turbo saab. I guess I'll need to learn to drive a "Wrong hand drive" and import one myself then.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

NeedforSwede2 ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Piece of piss.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns974F758CD81A7adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Indeed it is.

After owning numerous LHD and RHD cars, and driving RHD ones in Europe, I really don't understand why people are so worried about driving LHD cars here. I do it for a living and don't even think which side of the car I'm on anymore. There are very few disadvantages to LHD, it's very very easy to get used to, and in some situations preferable to RHD.

Unless you spend your life negotiating car parks which need to you remove / feed tickets to machines, spend a lot of time in McDonalds drive throughs, or use the Mersey tunnels (or similar), there are no real issues with LHD. Even the examples I've just used are easily dealt with - McD's isn't normally a solo occasion (and you get to get the passenger to order), multi storey car parks are pretty much the same - or you just shuffle across to get the ticket, and the Mersey tunnels money collecting basket is an easy shot from the drivers' seat if you've got electric windows. If you've not got 'lecky windows you're on that side of the car to wind the window down anyway.

You might, occasionally, get stuck on an A road behind something irritating like a Frontera and that will irritate, but you'll soon learn the technique for overtaking - hold back further than you would normally and it's remarkably easy.

Go for it!

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Umm, no... Which has caused a certain degree of embarrasment at petrol stations before now... As I open the wrong door and have to walk back round...

ITYM "sit as far back as you SHOULD be anyway"

It's actually easier to see what's in the R3Q blind spot on the motorway in a LHD car than RHD - trouble is, I'm usually driving a LHD van... I can't see through steel.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns974FA650FF536adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

I've not actually done that yet, but 32ft of car kind of makes sure you don't get it wrong. Hell of a walk...

I do indeed, but I spend to much time in uk.rec.modifications where they all seem to think undertaking on the motorway is a good idea...

Always a problem, but I agree with the blindspots not being as bad with LHD.

I still miss my old Mk2 Golf GTi, that was LHD and drove better than any RHD one I've ever known.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You can go round the front, y'know.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm surprised nobody's pointed out that Sweden only started driving on the wrong side of the road in 1967. What years were 544s made?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Heh. I usually ostentatiously get something out of the glove compartment before casually closing the door...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. Indeed I'd forgotten that. PV544s were 58-65.

But the Swedes sold/bought cack-handers for years before they converted, and I think the majority were LHD. Certainly the ones about now all seem to be.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns974FA909EEC55adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

D'oh!

.... oh, ang on

Reply to
Pete M

From the tail end of the 1940s, IIRC. However, even though the Swedes drove on the left of the road, all the cars they produced were LHD - the mismatch between side-of-road driven on and layout of cars was one of the reasons for the switch. That and confusion at borders.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Even though they drove on the left, they quite often drove LHD.

Something about being able to see the side of the road better in winter snow.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

So what do they use now ? RHD cars on LH roads ?

I can see the "edge of the road" argument (it works for road sweepers, why not Saabs?) but it seems odd that if it was a valid choice then, they'd not keep doing the same thing in reverse afterwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I try to make a great thing of having opened the passenger's door for my wife to get in. The effect is usually spoilt by the fact that she has gone round to the wrong side of the car as well...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

probably because as things changed, everyone else in Europe drove LHD cars (apart from a few diehards), road edge markigns maybe improved with Catseyes and the like, maybe with better road lighting and more universal signing it was as necessary.

Or maybe the drivers were stubborn and won in a true democracy :).

Reply to
NeedforSwede2