anyone reco. a cheap restoration project

Hello All, Gonna be starting a Welding course this year and would like your opinions on what you would consider a good car that would be fairly easy to do etc, have been given a Vauxhall astra 2.0 gti, but to be totaly honest although it is easy it just does nothing for me!! hehe, by the way the car was given to me by my brother. Many Thanks Mick

Reply to
Mental

How about a Landrover? There's plenty of rusty examples about, and the repair sections are all available. Plus straight edges mostly, nothing complicated.

Alex

PS. Yes, I'm biased, I've got 4 of em

Reply to
Alex

Something you are interested in, anything else will become a bore to you, and a 'that will do' attitude could well follow.

Reply to
Jerry.

In news:c8r6s4$dfl$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Mental decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I've got a 500 SEL Mercedes that needs a bit of welding... it's all in "interesting" places as well....

Reply to
Pete M

But also a lot of aluminium, not easy to fix...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

You don't fix the ally panels, you replace them.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

thats exactly what i feel will happen to the Astra to be honest, i may see if i can get it up for a swap for some restoration project, always used to love the MK2 Cortina's, cant wait to get the welding class's under my belt though, anyhow if anyone fancys restoring a Vauxhall astra GTI let me know hehe.

Cheers Mick

Reply to
Mental

Exactly. So where's the steel to practice welding? Out of sight. Which doesn't really encourage high welding standards.

Better to go for a steel car as a first effort. But something not too rare or expensive. How about a Mini?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Not the easiest car to do correctly, simple to weld yes, but a panel beaters nightmare to get the correct fit to some of the panels.

Reply to
Jerry.

I do know what you mean; reskinned doors are a particular problem. But my point really was that, for a beginner, Minis are cheap and relatively plentiful. I have several other cars that are easier to restore, but nowhere near as cheaply.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Spridget basket cases come up on eBay fairly often. Reasonably interesting, cheap parts (and plentiful), lots of enthusiasts to help you. Trouble is, most of them have been bodged by now, or fully restored anyway.

Reply to
Les Rose

But are they cheap on the whole? Any I've ever seen locally are overpriced pieces of crap held together with P45 and chicken wire - they seem to attract the same rose-bespectacled buyers as old VW Beetles. That is, their existing owners have a hopeless view of how much their little rotbox is worth at sale time, and they shift simply because there's a buyer out there for anything.

Naah, the chap wants a Nova - he'll be sure to get something thats unadulterated ;-)))

Reply to
DocDelete

As long as it hasn't been within a 100 meters of a boy racer, or owned by a little old lady and been serviced by *Joe Bodge-it and Son's Car Repairers*!

I doubt that there are many early Mk 1 or 2's that haven't by now....

Reply to
Jerry.

For something less likely, Rootes Arrow range are pretty cheap, basic and often in need of plenty of welding practice. Not cars I'd normally think of, but I've just been reading this:

article on Alpine rallying in the seventies)

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Ford MK2 Escort Ford Capri

Reply to
Conor

I was joshing ;-)) They're all bastardised now, and never were "drivers' cars" in the first place. Nice to see however that the laddo brigade has moved on up to Vauxhall Calibras now...ooh nice neon underlights.

Reply to
DocDelete