Ashtray wanted

I'm looking for an ashtray to fit a 1966 E-Type; in view of William Lyons' reluctance to spend money I'm sure it was an off-the-shelf part rather than specifically designed for that particular car, so probably appeared in various othe cars of that period.

It's a sliding tray design; the actual tray part is 6" wide, 4.5" deep and

1" high. The front plate is a bit bigger, but that doesn't matter.

Cosmetics unimportant as long as it's all there; I want to butcher (sorry, adapt) it to hold a Tom-Tom satnav.

TIA!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Wouldn't you do a lot better popping off to B&Q and buying a pair of drawer runners?

Reply to
Conor

That comes as a relief. When I saw the subject line I feared that you were about to buy a Vauxhall...

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Was that supposed to be a helpful suggestion? If you read the OP, it's the drawer I need, not the runners.

GMacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

It would be quite an ashtray - the smallest ones B&Q do are about a foot long...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but remember they took their smoking seriously in those days.

Simon Denman Classic Motoring - Jaguar E-Type Convertible Classic Car Hire Web:

simon

I often wonder why they bother fitting ashtrays to cars these days.

The one in my last BMW, an E34, was big and in a decent position - at the bottom of the dash in the middle. Big enough for sweet papers, etc. And reasonably in the driver's field of view for smokers. The one on my E39 is tiny and beside the handbrake - surrounded by shiny 'wood'. Where the old one was on the E34 is now useless cupholders.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And fragile too, and when some clumsy passenger breaks it, it costs close to $50 for a new one plus a major fiddle to get the old one out.

BTDT.

Reply to
Dean Dark