Auto transmission fluid as lead substitute

Someone recently told me here in Australia that they run their old Morris Minor using a half tea cup of auto tranmission fluid as a lead substitute in each tank of unleaded petrol.

Anyone heard of this before? What does auto trans. fluid contain? Does it contain lead or some other substance that will stop valve seats and valves from burning out?

Cheers

Reply to
Kerry

I have no idea what it contains, and would be interested to find out. I do know though that if you get a fluid leak in a brake servo and thus inject brake fluid into the inlet manifold, it produces a phenomenal amount of grey/white smoke out of the exhaust pipe - enough to completely obscure the view behind. As the UK MOT, even for cars too old to have their emissions checked, looks for "visible smoke", I would be wary of trying it as a lead substitute. Besides, AT fluid is not cheap, and half a teacup is likely to cost as much, if not more than properly packaged lead substitute.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Ignore my last post - it was complete rubbish. I managed to confuse brake fluid with ATF

Sorry

Reply to
Jim Warren

Can't answer any of that I'm afraid, but I have heard of diesel engines being run on ATF for short periods to clean the injectors.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

IIRC, it contains a lot of detergent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Problem with ATF is it contains large ammounts of shuphur -- which causes problems particularly when burnt. However for short use as an engine oil aditive/flushing agent it is very good for ungumming hydraulic tappets.

Reply to
awm

All together now: - "I'm forever blowing bubbles . . ."

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

B*gger! If I'd known that a few days ago I'd have drained that autobox into my diesel tank instead of disposing of it!

Reply to
Chris Bolus