Autocar and the Rover Vitesse

This weeks 'bumper' issue of Autocar includes the 100 all time greats from their road tests. Number 47 is the SD1 Vitesse.

Sadly, they didn't just publish the original test but sort of summarised it. Written by a work experience type?

1) The main pic is of a Series I car. Although the caption over the pic reads Vitesse. Other pics are of the road test Vitesse - and even a 5 year old could see the difference.

2) The text says 'a lower final drive ratio for a bit of added bite in each gear'. A lower ratio means higher gearing, so I'm not quite sure what they meant. But in any case the Vitesse has the same final drive ratio as the carb 3500 manual.

3)'Quicker steering rack'. It's the same as other SD1s.

4)'The car was usefully lighter'. Really? The quoted unladen weight is

3280lb. The carb VDP 3500 manual 3214lb. Both figures from the BL workshop manual.

The Vitesse gained weight because the wheels, tyres and brakes were all larger. And of course that rear spoiler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The article was probably written by someone who wasn't born when the original road test was published.

If the magazine gives a reward for reader's letters published, it would be worth your while notifying them of the errors.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I have the original road test, and those errors weren't in it. So someone somewhere decided to make things up.

I have emailed them but I'll bet they don't publish it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)