Battery Fliud

Does any one know the mixture ratio of water (distilled) and acid for fresh mixes to put in an old (New) battery please...

Reply to
Pumpaction

If I were you I would go to a shop that sells motorcycle batteries and get it filled there. We used to buy carboys of battery acid at the correct strength for filling the batteries that came on new bikes also most new batteries that we sold had to be filled by us before sale.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

That depends on the concentration of the acid. You shouldn't need to add acid to an old battery. If the plates are sulphated up then you'll need more than just new acid so cut your losses and get a new battery. I've had new batteries supplied unfilled but then I've also had the correct strength sulphuric acid with them.

Reply to
Richard Porter

I seem to remember it's 8 Mol / dm^3 concentration.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

Thanks for that Andy could you transpose that into English so I can save this battery. It has to be cheaper than a new one. It was new when the last owner of this MG Magnette laid it up to rest some

13 years ago
Reply to
Pumpaction

A decent motor factor should be able to supply the correct acid since some new batteries are still stored 'dry charged'.

If you're determined to make up your own, you'll need to say what concentration of acid you're starting with, as this will effect the ratios

- water being a constant. But you could make it up using unknown acid concentration using a battery hydrometer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , Pumpaction writes

Was it stored dry? If not, the plates will be very badly sulphated, if not completely disintegrated, and new acid won't really help you

Sorry...

Reply to
Ben Mack

Cheers Ben looks like dustbin then

Reply to
Pumpaction

If you're really keen, you could try emptying a couple of batteries from the local tip into a suitable container and use that acid. A very long slow charge *might* get the battery going again. But it's a long shot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman