BMC part no. beginning with 24G

Can anybody tell me what BMC model had parts numbers beginning with 24G? I have a chrome door sill kick strip I would like to identify - whole number is 24G3754.

TIA

Reply to
Neil McD.

part numbers like that carried through a whole range of BMC cars, don't look for just a particular model.

Reply to
Rob.

I don't think the parts numbers have any significance model wise. Might be worth putting a pic on a free site etc and posting the URL here - someone might recognise it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Reply to
Neil McD.

So whats the results?

Reply to
Rob

When I figure out how to photograph something 6 feet long and about 2 inches wide in enough detail to make it recogniseable, a picture will be put on flickr so you can all feast your eyes on it and say "Aha! That is for a ?????".

Reply to
Neil McD.

That description should narrow the possibilities somewhat. I was thinking of individual to each doorway kick plates. But I can't think of any BMC car with one that wide. I'm seeing my brother tomorrow so I'll ask him. He had several large old BMC vehicles.

Possibly the Austin 3 litre - based on the 1800 bodyshell?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Digital camera ?

Just do an overall then a closeup of an important part for the detail.

Now I'm thinking estate wagon, van, rear opening. Wondering if that part goes into Rover, Disco, Range, etc

Rob

(not using my regular newsreader)

Reply to
Jimmy

I am wondering whether it might be something that goes across a vehicle rather than along it. 6 feet is enormous for a passenger door, but quite feasible for the rear door of an estate.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I was assuming it went the length of the sill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was my first thought too, but it was described as a "chrome door sill kick strip" and I don't know of any door that is the same length as a sill. 6 feet long and 2 inches wide doesn't remind me of a sill decoration either.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

A more accurate measurement today - its about 5foot 6inches in total length. Square at one end, tapers at the other for the last foot or so. Flat face is about 2 1/2 inches and has 3 lines of small indentations, and there is a lip at 90 degrees of about 3/4 of an inch. And I only have one, not a pair, and its definitely a sill strip, not a tailgate fitting.

My current thought is A60 Oxford/Cambridge. Possibly...

Reply to
Neil McD.

In message , Neil McD. writes

Not A60 series, and not A110 series, though they feature part numbers very close to this one. The shape sounds very similar to the A60 kick strip, but much longer. Also, the A60 kick strip was aluminium, and you said this was chrome?

Phil

Reply to
Phil

It is quite possibly aluminium - it's in a thick plastic protective wrapper stored in an unlit attic so most of the weight is quite possibly the wrapper, and "chrome" could be "shiny aluminium". The digital camera should be available soon, picture posted online asap.

Reply to
Neil McD.

None of the Farinas had such a strip.

I did ask my brother and he also thought of the Austin 3 Litre - but that was a fairly narrow strip, certainly not 2" wide.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about an Austin Westminster?

Vanden Plas Princess?

Vanden Plas Princess 4-litre R?

(sorry, can't find pic. with door open).

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Is it just me, or can everyone smell the leather in that photo?

It's been a while, but I'm pretty certain they had "VP" etched into the centres.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Those pics also look like the front and rear door plates would be split at the A-pillar, which the OP's description certainly doesn't mention.

Reply to
Adrian

I saw an episode of "The Avengers" recently where one of the "good guys" was drivign a Princess.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But I thought we had established it wasn't a trim over each individual door opening but one which went along the whole outside of the sill - ie visible with the doors closed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)