Borderline classic - BMW 520i E28

Not sure what to do with this... I've lumbered myself with sorting out and disposing of my father-in-law's 1984 BMW. It belonged to his father from almost new and has only done 48,000 miles, but has been standing for the last 5 years. Bodywork is excellent, so it'd be easy to recommission and get back on the road as a very tidy car. But the costs don't seem to add up. It needs a full exhaust system, full set of tyres, cambelt (which I've started on), brakes freeing off and an MOT. Done properly, I can see that little lot costing close to 800 pounds. Doing it on the cheap (patching the exhaust, budget tyres, etc.) might have it on the road for 300 or so, but won't look so good when it comes to selling it.

So, anyone have any thoughts of its value? It's a 1984 520i (straight six engine), auto, E28 shape (the one with the exhaust coming out of the middle at the back), cloth seats, manual windows, nice colour (charcoal metallic), excellent condition inside and out except for the rusty rear bumper.

I'm pretty convinced that breaking it for spares would be the sensible option, but that seems a real waste and wouldn't exactly please the old man.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

My brother is an E28 fan.

He bought a very nice one - same sort of thing, one elderly owner - which had failed its MOT on brake pipes for 100 quid. Not really much use for spares on his 'own' one as all the colours were wrong. His one is black with black cloth interior. 520i manual.

Pity about the bumper - I know he needs one of those.

He doesn't have internet access - but I'll be talking to him on the phone later. But he lives in the NE of Scotland, and transport might be a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They can look very nice when tastefully modded..

Conor

Pity. This one has a cream coloured interior.

I'm guessing that they always rot. They certainly don't seem to be built as solidly as the rest of the car.

Indeed. I'd be grateful for any hints about which bits are sought after, if any...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

All a matter of taste I suppose. I actually like the look of this basic

520i because it doesn't purport to be remotely sporty - just a sensible family car built to a high standard. But I do realise that that's exactly why nobody wants them. In a lot of ways it's like my Rover P6, which being a mere 2000cc is always overshadowed by the V8. The quicker versions are obviously going to be more fun, but an awful lot less practical as everyday cars.
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

They're solid enough when new - but chrome plated steel. Stainless would have made more sense.

The bodies do rot too. But of course even the newest is 20 years old now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The 520 manual is quite lively if you use the revs. I can imagine an auto being dire. The later E34 was the first fitted with the 5 speed ZF and that overcame many of the problems with an auto in a relatively low power car. I think early E28s had three speed autos - but even the four speed ones were geared for high speed cruising/economy rather than performance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wondered if it would be quite revvy, being a small volume straight six and all that.

Makes sense and fits in with the car's original owner.

Ah well, I've ordered a replacement cam belt and have the radiator and everything removed ready to fit it, so may as well go ahead. It'll be a selling point for the engine if I decide to break it anyway.

I sold a much higher mileage and slightly smokey 2.5 version of the same engine a couple of years back. Listed on eBay with a buy-it-now of 230 quid, it was gone within minutes. The buyer turned up in a BMW main dealer's van, claiming to have bought the engine for rally project, which I doubted. Don't suppose the 2.0 will be as sought after though.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke