Brand New 0 miles Mk4 Escort for Museum ???

We have a brand new never registered, 0 miles (I think) mark 4 Escort that was given us by Ford for engineering teaching. It is perfect.

It has to go and management want to simply crush it! or cut it in half arghh!

It cannot be sold as it was a gift, but it should be in a museum

Any suggestions ?

Lee

snipped-for-privacy@salford.ac.uk

Reply to
Lee Griffiths

why not pass it on as a gift to someone, and charge them a nice price for delivery ? get around the old gift problem !

Reply to
Annteak

Lee Griffiths ( snipped-for-privacy@salford.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why not?

Chuck it on fleaBay, with the sale price going to charity.

Why? It's a Mk IV 'scrote. It's not exactly historic.

Reply to
Adrian

The way they rust, they soon will be.

If it's a CVH, then it'll be historic for being the only non-rattly, non-smokey CVH left ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

In news:Xns95C2E5BBA9DF6adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Because it was a gift from Ford. It's had no taxes paid on it, so can't be registered IIRC.

Unless you want to pay the tax on the price of a brand new Escrot.

If it's in mint condition, it's worth keeping in mint condition. It may not be historic in the least, but in 10 years time someone will look at it and it'll put a smile on their face. I'd say it's worth a spot in a museum.

Ring a museum and say "want a Mk4 Escort?"

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No reason why not. Identify the age (easy enough - there's going to be paperwork with it), and get it registered on an age-related plate. You won't be able to register it as new anyway - no cat, for a start.

Besides, the only point in registering it would be to use it - and that would destroy any value it might have.

Not that the OP says it's unregistered, of course.

And not that any of that necessarily has any bearing on why they can't sell it.

And what museum is going to want to pay to store it?

Be sure to hold the phone in such a way as to not be deafened by the laughter before the receiver hits the base in a hurry.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns95C2E90582548adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Well, the fact that Ford normally state this as a condition on "giving" the car to colleges etc is one reason. I know where there are two unregistered Mk1 Mondeo 2.0 GLXs which are in exactly the same predicament. They were given to the college to be used for mechanic training around 11 years ago. The college no longer does mechanical training. The college can't sell the Mondeos in much the same way I imagine this Escort can't be sold.

No, but it's normally the case.

It does if it's the same situation as with the Mondeos mentioned above. I saw a perfect, unmarked, unregistered, Mk3 Cortina with less than 30 miles on the clock get banger raced to destruction in this situation 14 years ago.

Any museum that's interested in storing things from the mid '80s I should imagine. Fords own museum could well be interested if it's in decent condition.

It's attitudes like yours that destroy things that could matter in years to come. If it was something you judged to be valuable, your tune would be utterly different. Just because a Mk4 Escort has no intrinsic market value doesn't mean it's utterly worthless. I doubt there are many, if any, other 0 mile Escorts left, so this one should be saved. It's not as though it's a common thing, it's not a 5 series BMW with 90k miles on. It's probably the only one of its kind left, so I should think there'll be a museum somewhere that would be happy to take it.

Reply to
Pete M

Am I missing something here? The car was donated as a teaching aid or something. OK, so it hasn't gone anywhere but how many times has it been taken to bits and put back together again? By amateurs. Surely the students don't just stand around and merely look at these things? Then again...

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

In news:cq0192$pl$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com, Simon H decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Probably never. The Mondeos I know of have had the engine out a couple of times, but as they're instructional cars, they've been put back in properly. None of the trim or bodywork appears to have ever been touched on them.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The "no-resale" clause?

Hence the suggestion of giving any proceeds to charity.

Great - so the OP should ring Ford and say "want it back?"

No, it's the reality of the cost of transporting and storing the car vs the potential future display value of it.

Remember the Patrick Collection?

Zero-mile examples of a lot of FAR more desirable cars - group B rally homologation specials, that sort of thing. Back in the late 80s, when money was far more awash than now, and backed by a large car dealership chain.

It went under. All the cars got sold off, and ended up registered and on the road.

Oh, and none of them had been dismantled two hundred times by ham-fisted trainee chimps.

No, not massively.

It means - financially - exactly that. Even excluding any clause that Ford are very unlikely to enforce. Do they want headlines saying "Ford demand £2000 back off college"? Of course not.

Any historical value is a different matter - which is where the fact it's a Mk IV Escort comes in...

If it were a *good* Escort - such as a Mk I/II or a Cossie or even an RS Turbo, that'd probably be a different matter. I strongly suspect that it's something like a 1.4LX though. Probably in beige.

Good luck. I seriously mean that.

To the OP - have you tried local museums round the factory areas? They're probably your best bet.

Reply to
Adrian

You could try somewhere like the Coventry musuem of road transport. I bet they've been in this situation before with other Fords at colleges and can advise.

Reply to
TTT

Reply to
Harry the Hippo

In news:j02yd.47647$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Harry the Hippo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

They've all gone to Manchester now. Merged the museums or something, Transport section is now in Mancland.

Reply to
Pete M

I've not been recently but they had a 0-mile red Escort Mk3 downstairs in the room with the Rolls-Royce, the fire engines, steam locos and the horse-drawn carriages. I think it was an '83 and was something like the

1milllionth one off the production line. I'm not sure if it's still there though.
Reply to
Jonathan Halsall

"Pete M" realised it was Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:56:52 -0000 and decided it was time to write:

Is that the museum next to the Granada TV studios, where they rebuilt Coronation Street?

Reply to
Yippee