bringing car back to life????

Hi folks, been advised to post here as you folks are used to bringing cars back to life!

I've been to visit a friend whose car hasn't moved for 20 months apart from being rolled out of the garage and back again - cos it had a flat battery. She is unlikely to drive for another 6 months or so because of illness but wants to keep the car for when recovery makes driving possible again. New battery or recharge is obviously needed, tyres need checking . . . anything else apart from oil change required please folks? Its a 1 litre, 1998. Pug

106 BTW. Not sure about TAX situation but will check it when i next visit. Ideas collected so far inc: MOT, TAX etc. Plus brakes needing stripping down, cleaning and regreasing. Condition of front disks. Clutch may have seized onto the flywheel. Put some fresh petrol in. Pull the spark plugs to make sure they've not gone rusty. Brake fluid. Condition of tyres - flat spots or pressure. On the other hand one gent said that if stored in a dry garage it'll probable be alright with a decent battery.

Any ideas appreciated pls folks.

Reply to
Robert Knowles

I doubt whether you'll have a lot of problems with a car that modern. If the handbrake's on, take it off now - that will stick. New, fully charged battery, some fresh petrol (just in the tank I'd think), check there's oil and coolant in it, and try it. If it won't turn over, or it won't start, or it starts and won't move off the spot, *then* you can start worrying about all the other things.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

would it be best to put it in gear and then take off the handbrake or just put a brick behind the wheel?

Reply to
Robert Knowles

I always leave mine in gear with the handbrake off. When I remember. I don't wish to discuss how I know about the handbrake sticking.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel