Capri rot problem.

(No laughing at the back)

I've got a MK3 Capri 2.8i. On both inner wings, the wing rails are well=20 crusty and the strut top plates have been repaired but to a crap=20 standard. Both front wings need to be removed regardless as they're=20 starting to go around the front.

I've two solutions to the problem:

1) Inner wing full length top repair plate which goes 2" down the=20 vertical side of the inner wing and from slam panel to bulkhead which=20 includes wing rail and negates the need for the strengthening plate on=20 the strut top. Cost =3D =A375.90 a side.

2) Replace wing rails and replace strut top strengthening plates, Cost=20 =A340 a side.

Option 1 will be far more cosmetically pleasing than option 2 but=20 really requires the engine out to do a decent weld job on the lower=20 seam.

Views anyone?

--=20 Conor

"The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.=20 And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."

- George Bush

Reply to
Conor

When are you selling it?

Peter Hill

Well, you know the answer. Anything that involves 'strengthening plates' is at best a temporary fix - the only real answer is cutting out the rot completely and replacing with new metal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

-(No laughing at the back)

-I've got a MK3 Capri 2.8i. On both inner wings, the wing rails are well

-crusty and the strut top plates have been repaired but to a crap

-standard. Both front wings need to be removed regardless as they're

-starting to go around the front.

-I've two solutions to the problem:

-1) Inner wing full length top repair plate which goes 2" down the

-vertical side of the inner wing and from slam panel to bulkhead which

-includes wing rail and negates the need for the strengthening plate on

-the strut top. Cost = £75.90 a side.

-2) Replace wing rails and replace strut top strengthening plates, Cost

-£40 a side.

-Option 1 will be far more cosmetically pleasing than option 2 but

-really requires the engine out to do a decent weld job on the lower

-seam.

-Views anyone?

I had a couple of those once and only someone who'd never driven one would laugh - really good fun car.

I reckon option 1 is the way to go - for no reason other than its going to be considerably more substantial, and from what I can gather, if you like a car you tend to hang on to them a long time, so the extra cost should be worth it.

Reply to
Doug

I bought a MkIII 2 litre auto for pennies to tide me over one Xmas when my 'proper' car was being repaired. And I was very pleasantly surprised - went like stink and fun to drive too - better than an MGB GT which is a similar sort of car. The 2.8 must be a real hoot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've got a MK3 Capri 2.8i. On both inner wings, the wing rails are well crusty and the strut top plates have been repaired but to a crap standard. Both front wings need to be removed regardless as they're starting to go around the front.

I've two solutions to the problem:

1) Inner wing full length top repair plate which goes 2" down the vertical side of the inner wing and from slam panel to bulkhead which includes wing rail and negates the need for the strengthening plate on the strut top. Cost = £75.90 a side.

Option 1 is the only one to go for really. One of my 2.8is had been badly repaired only 3 years before I got it, and it all needed doing again - inner wings, wing rails and strut mounts. If you are going to keep it, it's worth it, and if you sell it, it'll add to the value of the car if done properly.

I'm not laughing. They are top cars! A real hoot to drive, only my Saab 900 T16 put a bigger smile on my face!

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

My friend had one - still has, actually, though whether it'll see the road again is something I doubt. We were sharing a house at the time, he was out and one of our other friends was round, and we found his keys so we nicked it. Took it up the road a few miles. It was rubbish. Absolutely gutless and I never got out of second gear. At the time I had a 1979 BMW

316, to put it in perspective. I realise there must have been something up with it but it wasn't apparently missing or making any broken noises. Nice exhausts though.
Reply to
Dan Buchan

THanks for that. I do intend having it for quite a while. The cost of welding is the same, it'ts only the difference in the price of the panels really. As you say though, it'd probably only last a few years if I took the cheapo option.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Conor