Car radio's

Does anybody know of a company that sells radios with a custom appearance that would not look out of place in a classic car. I am looking for something circa 1959 that looks the part but will also work with FM stations.

Whilst I wish to be "in keeping " with the vehicle , I also want to be practricable.

Regards

Mike

To lengthen the string when you reply remove the KNOT

Reply to
Mike Ross

Look out a radio along the lines of a German-spec Blaupunkt Frankfurt. I recently bought a 1965 example (LW/MW/FM) from eBay Germany.

Reply to
Howard Rose

But don't expect the FM performance of even an el cheapo modern radio. Snag is they have no interference limiting circuits which was the making of FM in a car. These didn't arrive until about the mid '70s. You might be OK with strong local signals, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Check the last few issues of Classic & Sports Cars. They ran an article on a small firm which fits current FM tuners inside original cases to preserve the looks. Called something like The Vintage Wireless Company.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

"Geoff Mackenzie" realised it was Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:05:54 -0000 and decided it was time to write:

Vintage Wireless - Sales/repair/restoration of classic radios

174 Cross street, Sale, Cheshire, M33 7AQ, UK, Tel: 0161 973 0438 Fax: 0161 973 0438
Reply to
Yippee

I have a Kenwood KRC 3006 and 6 CD changer in my e-type.

The KRC 3006 was the last car radio from a 'name brand" that had the

1960s shaft mount format. They are discontinued, but you can buy a clone at:
I haven't dealt with them, but they have been around for a while. regards, Mike
Reply to
mike

That's the one.

Geoff MacK