Channel 5 - Classic Car Rescue

What a load of staged c*ck.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I recorded it and have just finished watching it. Staged c*ck is a good description. I won't bother with the rest of the series.

What a load of cowboys. I pity the mug who ends up with that car.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Quite. It was full of factual errors in the commentary - let alone all the bollocks talked on screen.

And who in their right mind re-sprays the car before doing the mechanical work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The main one being that the XK engine was a road car engine developed for racing, not the other way around.

Did they have to fit the cheapest and nastiest sunroof they could find?

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Didn't watch to the end but I'll bet the "win this car" was a premium rate phone-in. That is the real reason for the hour of crap that preceded it!

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Exactly so. I turned it off after fifteen minutes.

Reply to
harry

Complain about it here:-

have put a complaint in.

Reply to
harry

they didnt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was. £1.53 a minute.

I resisted the temptation. I felt a big enough mug watching it to the end, without helping to pay for it on my phone bill.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Were there E-Types factory fitted with Strombergs like their one was? It is many years since I looked under the bonnet of one, but I thought they were SUs. Mind you, that was a RHD. Perhaps the Yank spec was different.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

It was a US spec car - the twin Strombergs rather than triple SUs - gave better emission figures. At the expense of performance.

That car with auto transmission would have a top speed of under 120 mph.

0-60 about 11 seconds. A far cry from a decent UK manual.

BTW, the 150mph quoted as the E type top speed was only ever achieved with the original road test car which was fitted with a D type engine. Production versions were more like 135 mph. It wasn't until the V12 arrived that a production E-Type could make 150 mph.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's also the danger that you might actually win the wretched thing.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

That thought crossed my mind too.

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Yet another reason to avoid the prize from the programme

I read somewhere that the original 3.8 was a few MPH faster than the

4.2, but I have no idea whether it was true.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I'm sure you could sell it for more than it cost you. ;-)

Quite possibly. The 4.2 engine was more about torque than maximum power. And the car likely heavier. With more drag.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BTW, the 150mph quoted as the E type top speed was only ever achieved with the original road test car which was fitted with a D type engine. Production versions were more like 135 mph. It wasn't until the V12 arrived that a production E-Type could make 150 mph.

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Know what you mean I wanted too but I was like a rabbit caught in headlights... I just couldn't believe what I was watching!

Goes to show - "Buyer Beware!" - there as some mega gash bastards around !

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Anyone thinking of buying a 40 years old car should get skilled help.

I didn't think the prog guilty of actually bodging things. But if you win it for the price of a phone call, it would easily cover that in scrap value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I started watching it (my wife recorded it, thinking I'd be interested) but I disliked the two main characters, the tone of the show and the factual errors got up my nose, so I stopped & deleted it just after they bought the car. Utter crap.

Reply to
Huge

I watched it this morning, I thought it was a bad comedy show.

Martin P

Complain about it here:-

have put a complaint in.

Reply to