Classic Car hire.. straw poll.

T5 motor wouldn't fit, however...

If this (check the seat covers!!! - how many teddybears died???)

met

your wish would be granted =8(

Alistair J Murray

In news:Xns95F2ED36AE970adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Which is why it'd be easier putting a V8 in :)

Reply to
Pete M

Personally, I'd *love* one of these with a V8 in.

I think that's a really nice looking car, worryingly enough

Reply to
Pete M

So an early Estelle 130LSE with the right bumpers and front and rear lights is possible then? Cool ;)

I'm actually getting more and more tempted to phone about a 100 quid 120l up the road, if I can't work out WTF is wrong with the Metro.

/thread hijack

Reply to
Stuffed
[...Volvos for the truly twisted...]

282C with ruched teddy-pelt interior - niiiiiiiiice =8)

If it comes with a baaaaaaaaad double breasted suit in a clashing colour, I'll take a week...

That worried me too...

Alistair J Murray

But the Boxter is widely regarded as about the best of the roadster brigade !

I have to agree with Steve here - I'd never spend a wodge of my hard-earned hiring a car.

Although, I suspect you won't be catering to folk like us :)

Reply to
Nom

Excluding, perhaps, the MX5... at least for outright fun.

I sometimes wonder if I should have pursued an MX5 Euphonic with more determination last year, but then I have to carry something like a tree and decide the Beetle was the right car after all ;)

Richard (besides, the Supra is now taxed and is getting four new Falkens today - because Bridgestones cost 1/2 what the car is feasibly worth :( ).

Reply to
RichardK-PB

I have just ploughed through all hundred odd replies in this thread, and thought I would put in my own ideas now.

First of all, I would not want to hire anything that would be guaranteed to put more points on my licence, so the Ferrari, Porche and Aston would be too risky. The E-Type and the Mk 2 Jag I believe would be possible to drive gently, so I could be tempted by them.

In reality, I would be tempted to hire something that would not be practical for me to own but I would like to have a go in. So in no particular order: Morgan +4 A 1960s Mercedes - like the 220SE Rover P5B, or even P5 3-Litre Citroen CX or DS Jensen Interceptor/FF MG TD MG Magnette ZB Wolsey 6/110 Humber Super Snipe Jowett Jupiter VW Camper De Lorean Citroen "Traction Avant" (Maigret style - is it the Light 15?) Vauxhall Cresta Bentley S3 Vitesse 2-litre convertible Bristol 401 Volvo P1800S

Some of these have been mentioned by others, but they take my vote too.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Better not look at this one then, tovarich!

Willy Eckerslyke

Hehe - don't mention it! :)

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Except that there's a difference between "cars I quite like" and "cars I'd pay money to hire".

Reply to
Ben Blaney

It does.

That doesn't matter.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

If it isn't a 120L5, don't bother, especially if you need to do any A road or motorway work.

I loved mine, but it was to low geared for a car of that weight with a

1.2 and 4 speed box. The L5 made motorways a little more bearable and the 130 and above models made it so much easier.

BTW, stick a 136 motor in, and you can use unleaded without any additive. If you use a Favorit motor, I think you need to remove the spigot bearing from the crank end, and fit the bush from the end of the Estelle engine. Then it should bolt in, though you might need the sump and oil pickup from a rapid 136 too, although some people manage with just the spigot bush and carb change. Much better bolted to a 5 speed, although can be stuck on a 4 speed if you want looney acceleration in comparison to standard, but the same top end.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

TBH, that doesn't "do it" in the same way as the other one did. Don't know quite why, but I just don't want a tank.

Reply to
Adrian

Anything will fit with a big enough hammer ;). There's someone putting a T5 in a P1800 in one of the messing with old cars mags.

Reply to
Doki

I spent Aus $440 on an Elise for the weekend. Some of the best fun I've had in a car with my pants on. The only problem is after driving it everything else feels like shit.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

That sounds like a winner. I was going to buy a Saracen for Aus$17k until the wife put the kybosh on it. Damn.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston