Classic Car Insurance III

What's the crack with 'group' policies - does your group have to consist of the same make of vehicle? Which companies are decent for this type of policy?

Reply to
Jonathan Halsall

Jonathan Halsall ( snipped-for-privacy@thank.you) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The only one I've found willing to put more than one car on one policy is Footman James. The only downside seems to be if you want limited mileage per vehicle - they only do it per policy.

Reply to
Adrian

Jonathan Halsall was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

I've had two classics on my policy with Heritage/Norton insurance without any problems. Different makes, even considerably different in age. Of course you pay for the priviledge of having a second car on the policy...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo Geusch ( snipped-for-privacy@unixconsult.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I was with Norton for exactly one year. They flushed their chances of renewal down the loo when they charged me £25 to change a v6 Alfa for a 2cv on the policy.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

I found them pretty much OK, but I don't (or at least didn't) have the full choice of insewerants companies available to me as most of them wouldn't cover my ex-SWMBO due to the fact that she's got a German license and not the far superior British one.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

If there premium really was competitive, a 25 quid admin charge for changing cars isn't really that excessive. And my present policy does indeed state the charges for various things like this. In some ways I'd rather have a rock bottom premium where they have to charge for admin, than a more expensive one where it is 'free'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They all seem to be at it now - £15 is about the going rate. Annoying when I want to switch cars several times a year - I know they have a cost involved in sending out a new certificate but it's not £15.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I haven't noticed FJ doing that. They only charged me 15 quid total for a temporary additional vehicle a short while back. Mind you, the excess was a scary 350 quid!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Well exactly - £15 for an additional vehicle. That's an admin fee, not a premium adjustment. And they'll do it each time you add a vehicle. I had the same extra £15 when I wanted to tax an Elf just to sell it. Next time I'm going to ask my neighbour about a "loan" of his trade insurance...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Huh? Adding a vehicle means I'm getting extra insurance cover (14 days extra for that 15 quid), it's hardly unreasonable to be expected to pay for it. I assumed the OP was talking about switching insurance from one vehicle to another, with no overlap - where the charge is purely administrative. If I'd been charged 15 + 15 quid I'd take your point.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

yes, but on FJ's policies you don't pay any more for the extra vehicle. So one Elf = £105 Elf + A40 = £105 Elf + A40 + Triumph 1300 = £105. But adding an extra car mid-policy costs an extra £15. It didn't cost any extra when I added the Triumph at the renewal date.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

That's not the way my FJ policy works, there's been a small additional fee (approx £15 but don't quote me on that) each time I've added a vehicle, but that's been reflected in the renewal premium. I've been fixed on 3 cars on that policy for a few years now, never been charged to change a vehicle mid-term - last change was about 6 months ago. Annual cost is around £170 for 3 Triumphs, unlimited mileage, parked on-street. Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I was indeed. It was £25 to swap the car covered from a v6 Alfa 75 to a

2cv. No premium refund because of any reduction in risk, just the "admin fee".
Reply to
Adrian

Only on their classic policies, but the above wasn't on my classic policy. I have a modern car insured with them too. I was assuming that their admin charges or lack of them, were the same on everything they do. Wrong assumption, it seems.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke