classic cars for weddings??

Hi - hope you don't mind me posting to more than one newsgroup.

I'm looking to hire a late 50's early 60's jag , daimler or bently or similar for my wedidng in The Cotswolds (UK) in december. All i seem to find is old style 20's and 30's cars or modern day. can anyone recommend a suitable contact for me?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered. :-)

Reply to
jessica

Maybe becuase the "classic" car period covered from about 1925 to

1947... but mostly pre-war...
Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Since when was that written in tablets of stone.

I own a 1963 Daimler Majestic Major Limousine it is insured strangely as a classic car, I sense a certain amount of snobbery in your statement.

Sorry I can't help out with the Wedding though Peterborough is a bit far from the Cotswolds.

Reply to
Big Mc

What absolute trash. I thought anything pre-war was considered 'vintage', anything post-war is 'classic'.

And there's no upper limit to qualify a classic. Some cars achieve classic status the minute they roll off the production line - eg. Lancia Delta HF4wd / Integrale, BMW E30 M3, etc.

My Golf is insured on a classic policy..... that's a 1981 model.

Reply to
SteveH

Think this is correctly called 'post vintage thoroughbred' - but I'm not sure of the exact dates.

'Classic' is a variable feast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Oh??? I suppose that you are still living in the Jurassic period too, eh?

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

in your words Trash

For the record Veteran is classed up to the end of 1904 (London to Brighton eligable) . Edwardian is up the Dec 31st 1918 (Veteran Car Club take these as well). Vintage is 1919 to 31 Dec 1930 (Vintage Sports Car Club allowed) and after that Post vintage Some makes allowed into the VSCC) , Thorougbred or Classic. take your pick on the latter on dates and makes.

Its why pre 04 cars make more money than 1905 cars. And Vintage cars make more than post 1930 cars of the same make and model. There's a nonsense in it all when a 1905 car can be worth half the money of an identical car made in 1904.

Andy

Splashlube

Splashlube ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnothere) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

While the "Veteran", "Edwardian", "Vintage" descriptions are formalised by the appropriate clubs, I don't think "classic" or "thoroughbred" are quite the same kettle of fish - particularly "thoroughbred". I mean - is a DB4 or a Daytona any less "thoroughbred" than a '30s Morris 8? Hardly.

The same applies to cars made before 1/1/73, thanks to the free tax cut-off. Does that make a late-72 built DS any more worthy than an otherwise identical car built a month later? Shows how ridiculous such labels are, doesn't it?

Reply to
Adrian

Post Vintage Thoroughbred as far as the Vintage Sports Car Club is concerned refers to a list of approved models manufactured after Dec 31st 1930. This list used to stop at 1939, but I don't know whether it has been extended. Somebody has a club or part of one for Historic Racers which seem to be any marque with a track competition history and covers some of the post-war period.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

We finally got a fax machine a few years ago (1997) -- I remember telling friends at the time "that we were moving boldly into the 1980's."

I also have an ancient G4 duel 450

best, Dan

-- Dan Coogan Coogan Photographic / Phoenix, AZ E-Mail snipped-for-privacy@CooganPhoto.com

Web:

Represented by Black Inc. Web:

"Photography With A Vision"

Reply to
Dan Coogan

In the States, any car over 20 years old is a classic. Any car over 30 years old is an antique.

George Patterson To a pilot, altitude is like money - it is possible that having too much could prove embarassing, but having too little is always fatal.

Reply to
G.R. Patterson III

G.R. Patterson III ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In the US, there's some quite well respected outfit called the "Classic Car Club of America" who decree *exactly* what they think can be called a "classic"...

"CCCA is dedicated to the collecting, preservation and enjoyment of the world's finest automobiles which were manufactured from 1925 through 1948"

Only the finest, y'see - and they tell you what that means....

It's really quite amusing reading - Bugatti - all except Type 52. Lagonda - all except 1933-1940 Rapide. MG - 1935-1939 SA, 1938-1939 WA only Oh, and they'll only consider Lancias or Amilcars "on application".....

A bit up 'emselves? I do believe so....

Reply to
Adrian

Really? By WHOSE definition??

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Lets get back to the original request is there anyone out there who can assist Jessica with a wedding car?

Reply to
Big Mc

The license departments of all 50 States.

George Patterson To a pilot, altitude is like money - it is possible that having too much could prove embarassing, but having too little is always fatal.

Reply to
G.R. Patterson III

Just to let you know I emailed her direct b4 and she's now sorted.

Andy

Reply to
Splashlube

Not sure if it's *all* 50, but for licensing and annual (MOT style) inspection, then 20 and 30 years are cut-off points in most states, but only if you buy the appropriate registration and license plate. There's usually a drawback in that you get reduced or no inspections but there are limits on how much you can have the car on the road - typically only one day a week.

I've had several cars in the USA that were eligible for 'classic' and 'antique' tags, but I always chose to go the full license plate route with them, first because I take care of them so they will always pass inspections anyway, and second, I want to drive them when *I* want to, not necessarily just one day a week. This summer just gone, I sold a

1972 Chevelle SS convertible that I'd owned for 8 or 9 years. It never had classic/antique tags while I owned it - to me they don't look right on a car that's meant to be driven very fast (albeit only in straight lines). The buyer is a Chevelle freak, you can see his other Chevelles as well as the one I just sold him at:

and

My old one is linked towards the bottom of both these pages.

Think of it this way, 'classic' and 'antique' are simply labels on US license plates that denote inspection and use requirements. That's all it means.

Reply to
Dan Drake

Great... Take the word of a politico over that of an "authority." Welcome to the mooing masses of sheeple...

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Exactly. The guv'ment designations have no weight when it comes to genre.

In Texas, everything over twenty-five years can qualify for an antique plate with the accompanying restrictions. However, if one wishes to drive his antique car on a daily basis he can get a "classic" tag which must be attached to a year of manufacture plates that were previously been approved by TXDOT.

"Classic" in the real sense represents a period of manufacture generally accepted from 1925 to 1947. I didn't make these rules, but a qualified body did and it is accepted universally.

Then again, it is a scary thought that a Gremlin is a bonafide antique...

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

I am intrigued by this "Qualified body" which has managed to end the long running debate on what is, and what isn't a classic car. Can you point me to where I can access the document which lays down this definition? Thank you, Bill Davies.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies