Classics out and about

Probably related to the season, but it's been nice seeing so many classics on the road over the last few weeks, including: Daimler 2.5 V8 Rover P4 (not sure about the sand over orangey-mud colour scheme) Herald E-type TR6 TR3 Rover P4 "Cyclops" Volvo Amazon (going like hell on A55 past Conwy!) Various Minors and Beetles Riley RM

What's been brightening up your scenery this summer?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

At the weekend driving down the M4 I saw three Anglia 105E vans and a collection of the old Classic/Capri models. Several Mk.1 and Mk.2 Consul/Zephyrs too. Also what looked like a Ford V8 pilot "woodie" estate-car towing a caravan, and three Reliant Scimitars, two of which were towing.

Finally, a 'sixties Bristol towing a trailered Lotus-7-style kit-car, and a Standard Vanguard pick-up-truck.

Reply to
PJML

This area (South Downs) is classic car heaven. Lots of wealthy people around so they tend to be top of the range motors. My neighbour has a showroom condition 1920's Packard (and a steam roller). Across the road is the tenant of the manor house with a rather nice gunmetal grey E-type. Daimler V8s are actually fairly common around here and seem to be preferred to Mark II Jaguars.

On a regular basis we see an influx of cars from between the wars and sadly I recognise only a few of them. Bullnose Morris, couple of Bentleys and the rest mostly register as "oh look at that" followed by "damn haven't committed it to memory".

A great day out in Alresford not long ago when the Armstrong Siddley owners club arranged a day out. Almost every parking space on Broad Street occupied by my favourite marque.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My TR7V8 :-)

Also Reliant Sabre Six. The other day on the way to work in Selborne (Hampshire). First time I've ever seen one.

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

Damn, I'll have to get the electric fan fixed and remove those flipping Waxstats.

Chris

1500 Spit.
Reply to
Kris

I've just had a nice weekend watching similar races at the Anglesey Circuit. Most entertaining.

Incidentally, I was pleasantly surprised when someone asked if my Vitesse was a two litre or 1600. I get so used to people thinking it's a Herald. It turned out the chap was into Triumphs and was in the throws of finishing restoration of his 26,000 mile (!) Stag.

Then this morning, while getting a couple of new tyres fitted, I was gobsmacked when an elderly Frenchman asked exactly the same question! It transpired that a relative of his used to be chief transmission mechanic at Triumph and often appeared with prototype cars, one of which this gentleman later bought. A most enjoyable chat ensued, covering the Renault Dauphine (similar spec, but 20% lighter than the Herald) and the

3 cylinder, 2 stroke Saab. Apparently there was communication between Saab and Triumph long before the Dolomite engine found its way into the 99.
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The message from Willy Eckerslyke contains these words:

Known to some of my generation at least as the 'roll-over Renault' due to propensity for inversion. I thought it was rear engined.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

They were. Swing-axles! Oooer!

I think the reason why they were so light was that they rusted at a truly-astounding rate, which accounts for them becoming all-but extinct within a few years.

[My mother had one in the early-1960s; my first car-related memory was burning my hand on the exhaust. Perhaps this early experiment in aversion-therapy is the reason for my lifelong loathing fro Renaults?]
Reply to
PJML

It's a shame I didn't know those little details this morning when I was being told how Renault were engineers, but Triumph were blacksmiths! Still, I was quite pleased with myself for knowing that the Dauphine was the rear engined, curvy one.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

being told how Renault were engineers, but Triumph were blacksmiths!

By who? Tell me where he lives and I'll go round and give him a good kicking...:-) The only thing Renault have ever engineered was how to remain nationalised and survive year on year while making no money. Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson