Colway tyres - who fits 'em?

Please forgive me if this is a silly question, but if you have tyres delivered to your house, how do you get them fitted onto your wheels?

Steve

Reply to
stevebowtie

( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Your local smaller (preferably indie) tyre place.

I had a set of alloys refurbed a couple of years ago, and my local tyre chain (not one of the big nationals, though) removed four tyres from four rims and fitted them to four newly done rims, valves, balance, for (IIRC) a tenner per corner.

Reply to
Adrian

Find a local indie tyre dealer. Most are willing to fit customer supplied tyres for a small fee.

The one local to me at work charges £10 / wheel incl. disposal, valve etc. I think that's a bit steep, but ordering online can cancel out that inflated charge.

Reply to
SteveH

Thank you.

Steve

Reply to
stevebowtie

Agree. A local four outlet "chain" wanted to charge me £25 per wheel for putting the Colways on, and balancing. I ended up using a friendly mobile guy who did it for £5 a pop.

If you're near / in the midlands try Dial A Tyre on 01527 596 003

Reply to
DocDelete

You don't, or you pay through the bloody nose to have them fitted, or bloody well should do...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

inflated charge?????

pottsy

I don't really understand why you would buy cheapo remould colway in the first place, are they a peculiar size?

You could fit them yourself, it is not very difficult in a reasonable workshop.

A little back street tyre place could fit them.

I must admit that if you came in to my place and asked to have tyres you had bought elsewhere fitted, then I would send you away.

Costco fit the tyres they sell and valve and balance them at 2 pounds plus vat. They also have ten pounds per tyre rebate at present. Next month twenty percent off plus the tenner.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

You don't understand Colway remoulds, then.

They're cheap, but not cheapo, IYSWIM.

You wouldn't get a comparable performance tyre from anyone else at even double what they charge.

If you get people coming in to ask for their own tyres to be fitted then I can think of 2 things you need to do:

  1. Look at the prices of the stuff you're selling compared with buying online.
  2. Review the brands you carry.

Not everyone can use Costco, and they don't carry a particularly good range. Great for budget no-names, not so good if you want a specific performance tyre.

Reply to
SteveH

That is total bo**ocks, you're talking out of your own exhaust pipe man ! 'mrcheerful' could stock the same tyre and still not be able to compete with on-line sheds that 1/. possibly don't stock anything until a web order has been placed (at which time they get the tyres delivered next day and send them via a next day 'by 10:00hrs courier and 2/. doesn't have the expense of staff and fitting equipment etc.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I thought Costco stocked purely Michelin?

Reply to
Adrian

:::Jerry:::: ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they :::were saying :

Why?

Reply to
Adrian

Anyone can join Costco. Costco now only sell Michelin tyres at very good prices. I personally don't sell tyres, but am quite capable of fitting them. I did have some colway tyres on my land rover, but they cracked up before they wore out. I was not impressed with colway.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Even at £10 per corner for fitting, buying online is almost always cheaper than buying from a local tyre dealer.

For my NCT5s, I just about broke even going straight to my local dealer as they had a good deal on them. Usually it's around £5-£10 per corner cheaper online, even if you include the £10 fitting.....

Reply to
SteveH

No they can't. There's some fairly strict rules regarding membership.

Last time I looked, they were selling a mix of whatever they could source on the cheap.

How long were they on there, then? - most tyres will crack given the right conditions.

Reply to
SteveH

Because if everyone started to buy their tyres on-line, at cheaper prices than they can get them at their local tyre shed, there won't be any tyre sheds left - it costs money to run a tyre fitting bay, what with labour and machinery cost etc. The extra costs don't go on profit you know...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

And your point was, other than show up the fact that you didn't read a single word I said ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

And your point was, other than show up the fact that you didn't read a single word I said ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The point is that my local tyre dealer is charging the equivalent of £80 / hour to fit tyres I supply myself. At that kind of labour charge, there's no reason they can't get an all-in cost that'll match the price I get by ordering online and paying for fitting.

But you're obviously too stupid to understand that.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I don't think ::: Jerry ::: is "stupid" - he's utterly self-absorbed and arrogant, yes, but not stupid.

Reply to
Adrian