Custom Windscreen

Is there a UK company that makes one off Windscreens? Either glass or Plastic of some sort?

Cheers

Reply to
Trevor

Is it flat or curved?

If it is flat glass and not a new car then most glass companies can supply a suitable piece of laminated with polished edges. If it is a new car it will have to have all the right approval stamps/marks.

For a curved piece try Uroglass in Bromsgrove. (01527 577477 but check as it's an old advert I'm looking at). They do short runs for the kit car industry etc and certainly used to do one-offs as well. Beware, a Google search will take you to the American Uroglass company which is unrelated. I'm not sure how you specify the shape of a curved screen.

Most plastics are unsuitable for windscreens as they are not hard enough to withstand scratching by windscreen wipers. There could be some fancy aerospace plastics (at aerospace prices) but you would need to check legality for car use.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

windscreens have to meet standards... the cost of testing is prohibative for one off work.

SVA will require proof your windscreen meets the standards.

Plastic will scratch.. windscreen wipers will ruin it in short order.

Pick a windscreen thats's close to what you want and build round it... ( a rear screen will probably not meet the front windscreen standard )

I wish you luck sorting your problem.

Regards Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Its a flat screen and thanks for your help

Reply to
Trevor

Fortunately it is already registered corrctly so does not need an SVA

The screen it has is plastic, Im sure. the problem is it looks like someone has been using an angle grinder near it and it has lots of tiny little bits of metal melted into the screen.

Its ok to drive but I suspect the wipers wont last long should I turn them on.

Reply to
Trevor

Trevor ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In that case, almost any windscreen fitters should be able to cut one to size/shape.

Reply to
Adrian