DPDT Relays needed

Hi all,

I'm looking for four Dual Pole/Dual Throw (DPDT) 12V 30A(ish) relays for an automotive applications.

Most suppliers seem to just do SPDT types.

Anyone know where to get them from and/or if they are fitted to any cars I can get them off

thanks

Lee

Reply to
Lee Griffiths

I doubt very much that you'll find what you're looking for. I find automotive relays rarely come in DPCO format, especially not at

25-30A. The closest i can find is an industrial relay rated at 25A DPCO.

They are available from RS

and no doubt many other suppliers. However, looking at the prices i think it would be cheaper to buy two SPCO standard automotive relays.

Product: go to

and enter 376-880 in the search box. DataSheet:
Alex

Reply to
Alex

I can't think of anything that would use them on a car?

Just how much current do you want to switch?

What's the actual application so perhaps someone can suggest a different route?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pretty common at lower current ratings, but 30A is pushing it. Do you really _need_ 30A ? If it's for lighting, then split it into separate circuits across multiple relays.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Why?

A 30A one can be found at such places as Maplins or RS Components.

Reply to
Conor

Why do you need double throw? There are some Lucas DPST ones around (they may have one contact of each pair linked to one terminal) in oblong aluminium cans. They are usualy available from traders at shows and classic electrical dealers. If you need DPDT for logic just use lower rated relays feeding a couple of standard SPST automotive relays for the high current circuits.

I used to use ex-WD relays from the shops around Edgware Road and Lisle Street but that seems to have all gone now. Henry's is still there but I haven't been in for a long time.

Reply to
Richard Porter

They're DIN rail-mounted, not the usual car format, and Maplin don't do a 30A DPDT anyway.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

30 amp DPDT with a 12 volt coil? Not from Maplin.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What the f*ck did I say? Such places as, meaning "along the lines of".

Reply to
Conor

Like where? Who stocks a car-style 30A DPDT relay? Bosch and Lucas don't list them as even being made (they do SPDT, lower currents and even DPST, but not 30A DPDT)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Cat # RE110 T92 Relay , DPDT 30A 12V DC Price $ 20.56

RS Components:

Rapid Online:

Maplin have SPDT 30A 12V relays. It hardly takes a genius to buy two for all of £4 in order to have DPDT switching.

TBH after a few seconds I got bored of looking at all the DPDT 30A 12V relay packages available.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm not surprised - you could have read the ones that were posted yesterday -- But there still aren't any in the standard vehicle 5-blade package, despite Conor suggesting Maplin and your especially helpful suggestion of a trans-Atlantic hot-tub supplier.

Seriously, the most useful link is probably to VWP

they don't do something, you probably don't need it for u.r.c.c

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you're going to say they can be found there at least do the homework. Most people who know what a DPDT relay is will know of the existence of maplin and RS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would take a miracle to find a DPDT in a 5 blade package...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can get 5 blade packages with up to 7 connectors (maybe more). They're only low-current connections (bulb failure monitoring or LED status outputs are what I've seen), but they do mean that you can still rack them up in the standard mounting blocks.

Cars are a pretty nasty environment, even under the dashboard. If you use relays that aren't designed for it you can see problems from vibration. Rallying might be an extreme place to learn this, but headlamps that cut momentarily when you hit a hard bump are a quick way to teach you.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So what? The OP didn't ask for a particular package and all the relays referred to are suitable for automotive use.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There is provision for up to 9 pins on a DIN car relay, but 4 of them are low-current 3/5mm blades. The resons why you won't find a 30A DPDT in a standard car relay package is that it is physically impossible to fit such a relay into the size of the can.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

But the can size for the standard 5 pin socket is variable. Some are three times the height of a standard SPDT relay. It would be perfectly possible to make one to fit - although providing six 1/4" tags plus two smaller ones for the coil in the space might prove tricky, as well as non standard.

But the reason there isn't such a thing is probably the same as me not being able to think of a use for one. All high current car stuff uses a ground return so the need for a double pole relay would be limited - to say the least.

It would be nice if the OP actually said what his use is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What's this socket standard officially called and is the spec for it freely available on-line anywhere ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley