Engine Paint

hi guys, does anyone have any experience of using a GOOD heatproof engine paint? In particular, I'm trying to get hold of a gloss (not satin) black. Have just bought some of Halfords own brush-on, it's like water to apply (not good), and doesn't cover over well.

Also searching for some coloured heat proof paint for when I rebuild the motor in my Punto GT, block is red from factory - anyone know where to get some?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

Reply to
richard.ingall

I used to sell Firecote (Hycote) VHT engine paint. Spirex also do it. You can get it from Brown Brothers/Unipart.

David

Reply to
David Lane

How hot ? Blocks? Warm parts with radiant heating ? Exhaust manifolds?

Most obviously suitable modern paints are capable of being used successfully on engine blocks. White or pale paints will discolour, but the resins are heat-proof to this level. Always give them _plenty_ of time to cure properly before expecting them to be oil or fuel proof.

Good engine block paints are Blackfriars QD90 (has an associated primer and comes in a range of colours), PPG or Japlac. For hotter things use Sperex heat-resistant. They even do one for exhausts and manifolds, but I've never had that much luck when it's really hot. Try a decent motor factor like Edmunds Walker.

Hammerite is of course useless. It's never much good, but it's absolutely dire for fuel resistance.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bought some "MG Maroon" brush on engine paint from Frost - really good stuff, brush it on and it all smooths out with no brush marks!

£18 a tin though... but I will certainly buy some more when the time comes to paint my mini engine

Reply to
Howard Rose

ISTR there's a can in my garage, proper stuff bought from Ken & Lyn at the autojumble.

Reply to
Chris Bolus