FA sierra 4x4 estate

well, I reckon it's classic. It will be before long, if not now.

sadly, it's not going to be mine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But the seller is one anshackles...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

tis if you still want daft money for it...

I bought a clean and tidy, very original, 100k mile D reg XR4x4 on eBay last month. 10 months MOT, 3 months tax, new CD player, reasonable service history, 4 new Avons, reconditioned motor, new clutch, shocks, brake discs and pads etc last month for £361.

I suspect Austin will be wanting rather more for rather less car...

Reply to
Pete M

Didn't you try to sell this in May ... but failed.

Hmmmm.

Some people don't get the message ...

IT'S NOT WANTED ANY MORE AND IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE

There,

David

Reply to
David Lane

I thought I recognised the picture - just put it down to being one of those Ebay resales where the disenchanted new owner cannot be arsed to take a new shot, or even change / update the text description. Caveat emptor!

I wonder what the reserve is? If it's any more than £250 it's pitched too high methinks.

Reply to
DocDelete

In news:40e28bb7$0$60487$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net, DocDelete decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I suspect it reached around £311 last time and didn't hit the reserve. I offered Austin £400 for it when he first decided to sell, but he said something about £700. Understandably that was the end of the discussion and I bought my XR4x4 instead. (taxed, longer mot, less mileage, new tyres and a CD player)

Shame really, I've always liked the idea of the 4x4 V6 Estate, but you can get really nice ones for £5-600.

The LPG conversion is utterly worthless to me, but I'd value that Sierra at £400 tops. (£399.99 without the LPG)

I suspect it's a case of "Saxo Syndrome", where people spend a fortune on a car and expect to get the money back. Not everyone is that worried about mpg.

Reply to
Pete M

Yeah, I think it's amusing when scanning the autotrader website under things like Saxo, Clio, Rover 220 to see a big jump from around £1200 to some nutter who reckons he can get £4000 for an M reg just because he's plonked on 17inch alloys, a Janspeed and a few neon underlights. Oh, and don't forget the alloy air intake tube with bypass fart valve.

Back to XR4s - was it true that in later XR4x4s, Ford dropped the 2.9i in favour of a 2 litre lump? I always thought the old RWD XR4i was a good package for not a lot of money.

Reply to
DocDelete

In news:40e2e305$0$60490$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net, DocDelete decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Nope, Ford in all their wisdom decided to produce a few poverty model "sporty" Sierras now and then.

First there was the 4x4 GLS Sierra, which was even more sparse than the XR4x4.

Then later on they made such wonders as the XR4i which in Mk2 guise was a 5 door, 2.0i dohc engined, XR4x4 lookalike. same engine went into the XR4x4

2.0i, and I suspect the Sapphire Ghia 4x4 2.0i appeared simultaneously. The XR4i was replaced by the "GT"..

AFAIK, the 2.9 lived on til the death of the Sierra.

Reply to
Pete M

I just wish more manufacturers would do "biggest engine/ brakes, lowest-spec trim" models. When your main interest is going fast you don't really need leather seats/aircon/ electric windows/sunroof. Bring back the days of the Mk.1 Escort Mexico with rubber mats on the floor, no sound-deadening and optional heater. About the only manufacturer who's done this sort of thing in recent years was Peugeot, who did a 205 "Rallye" that was really stripped-down and basic but went/handled a lot better for it.

Other moan: why can't you get medium/large sized 2- or 3-door cars these days? Something about the size of the old Vauxhall/Opel Monza or the rather nice Mk.1 Granada Coupes? 4/5-door cars are heavier and usually less torsionally-rigid. I don't need rear seats but want a full-sized car.

Reply to
PJML

PJML ( snipped-for-privacy@nerc.ac.uk.loopback) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

6-series, Continental GT, S-class coupe?

Or was Sir hoping to get away without applying for another mortgage?

Trouble is, the mainstream manufacturers don't make any big saloons these days, either - Ford don't do a Grandad replacement, Vauxhall have dropped the Omega without a replacement.

There's always the Vauxhall Monaro.

Shame the Avantime died, too. 2-door Espace coupe. Madness. Utterly barking.

Reply to
Adrian

They certainly used to - for police use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Caterham 7?

Mercedes CLK?

Reply to
Ben Blaney

They're not that pricey to buy once they've passed their first three or four years of depreciation. Unfortunately the spares-costs for such cars are usually horrendous!

Yum! Now if Jaguar did a 2-door coupe version of the S-type it might be interesting too. Engine's about the right size [well, the 4-litre V8 is], but knowing the market they'd aim it at [medallion-man types and golf-professionals] it'd be automatic-only and be available only in lemon-yellow with peppermint green leather upholstery.

The mid-90s Toyota/Lexus Soarer is probably about the only car that really fits my idea of the sort of thing I'm talking about and even then the V8 versions were all automatics.

I saw one of them a while back. And a Renault Vel Satis.

Just *what* drugs were they on when they designed those things?

Reply to
PJML

I know. Unfortunately this now seems to be a thing of the past. About the last "police spec" cars I can think of were the _fleetline_ versions of the Range Rover Classic.

These days even PC Plod gets his cloth seats, electric windows/mirrors and aircon - usually because it's too difficult/works out more expensive to build a car without this stuff.

Reply to
PJML

PJML ( snipped-for-privacy@nerc.ac.uk.loopback) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Conti R will be...

The Well Satisfied's a bit on the fugly side, but the Av? Mmmm. Me like. Me

*very* much like.
Reply to
Adrian

The best kind! All high, and no downs. We need more cars that veer away from the norm - not all will be considered beautiful, or successful but at least they're different, and the designers have *tried*.

Me? I do like that arse on the Megane ;-)

Reply to
DocDelete

Recent Renaults look to me like the designers did some first-cut drawings, screwed them up in despair then took them out of the bin then passed them to production without ironing the crumples and creases out.

To me it's hideous - the rear window has something about it which brings to mind an image of the reverse- slope 'breezeway' 105E Anglia. I get the same feeling of bad deja-vu when seeing a Mercedes A-class from the side.

Reply to
PJML

PJML ( snipped-for-privacy@nerc.ac.uk.loopback) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Have you *seen* a 6-series? Especially the convertible.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, I don't like the edges on the current

6-series either!
Reply to
PJML

Ah, but edges are the new curves! That's what Mr Ford said anyway.

There's some serious confusion at BMW just now. I mean, have you seen that ugly side swage on the X5 (looking from rear 3/4)? It's hideous, like the chap doing the clay modelling (do they still do that?) took a swipe at it, and couldn't be arsed to stick some more clay on to try again.

"Fair in those curves at all costs, I don't care how tight the corners get". Crap.Swear.B0ll0x etc

Reply to
DocDelete