FBHVC's Drive-It Day seems to be happening...

Been out for a quick bimble, just a few odds'n'sods locally.

Even though it's wet and miserable and misty, compared to yesterday, spotted a rather lovely little '30s Aston and a bloody great big traction engine...

Reply to
Adrian

How could you tell the difference?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve Firth (%steve%@malloc.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The Aston driver had a smaller cloud of steam and smoke to peer through. There's more than enough DB9s and similar modern big Fords round here...

No, it was a very pretty little Aston -

- sort of thing.

Reply to
Adrian

Certainly in Poole this morning there were a lot about in what looked like an organised run (heading in the Wimborne direction from Holes Bay Road). I was in amongst about 20 of them, stopped off at a shop for about 10 minutes and on my way back they were still going past.

Quite a selection with (that I recognised and can remember) a Model T pickup, (a few) Anglia's (105E), a Popular (E93A), a Ginetta G4, a Humber, an Austin 7 and an Austin A30, loads of MG-B's, a Midget or two and some Sprites.

As I say I only saw the head and possibly the tail of stream, so what there was in the 10 minute gap I don't know.

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

I'm sure it would have happened more if it had been better publicised. I knew nothing about it before this post, despite being a regular reader of this NG, Practical Classics, and a member of a FBHVC-member car club. The Elf does get driven regularly, usually at least once a week, but I missed today!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Likewise. I heard nothing before this thread, and I didn't see anything interesting driving round my area.

Is this a regular (or annual) event?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Absolutely. I went out in the Minor 1000 in the morning, but then I use it regularly anyway.

MMOC and regular reader too, but I'd heard nowt of it either.

I use the 1000 quite often for going to work, unless it's icy, or throwing it down. It was purely down to chance that I used it yesterday.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Jim Warren ( snipped-for-privacy@OMITblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

First annual.

Reply to
Adrian

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd have a word with your club, and find out why they don't share the information they get regularly from FBHVC, then.

I run the website for a 2,500 member club, and put all the relevant contents from every FBHVC newsletter onto the site as soon as it's received.

Reply to
Adrian

On 24 Apr 2006 Adrian spluttered:

I found out through the British Motor Club in Maidenhead (Shire Horse, first Monday). I spread the message via the Mini Marcos web forum, but as the Mini Marcos club isn't in FBHVC there was nothing in our magazine.

Another group turned up at the same venue with its own plans, which led to much confusion. In the end a group of us from the Thames Valley Mini Club (Ring O'Bells, third Thursday) decided to do our own tour. We saw quite a few classic cars out and about, including a group of prewar MGs heading in the Beaconsfield direction. I was in a 1971 Mini Jem.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Richard Porter ( snipped-for-privacy@address.uk.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Push 'em to join. It's not expensive, and you really start to realise the benefits once you see the work they do.

Reply to
Adrian

I seem to remember that there was something last year on a small scale.

The FBHVC are seeking views as to a date for next year. Should it stick with the 23rd which will be a Monday and encourage people to drive to work in their old cars or make it the last Sunday in April. I prefer the Sunday.

See

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

I haven't been reading PC for a while and gave up car clubs after getting fed up with the TSSC a few years back, so didn't know anything was happening.

I use the Vitesse nearly every day - but not yesterday!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I think a Sunday would be better but why not the 22nd. The last Sunday this year is on Bank Holiday weekend when there will be shows and other events taking place. Yesterday I think there was some sort of running event going on in London.

Reply to
Richard Porter

My mistake, they are actually proposing the 22nd as a possibility.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Timescale I suspect - the magazine is produced only quarterly and the website is not updated very frequently. Apparently everyone finds the webmaster difficult to work with, though I found him OK but resistant to change.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A luddite webmaster...

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bolus saying something like:

Ah, this explains the smattering of ShiteOldClassics I saw on the 23rd around Borris. A couple of Capris, Mk2 Cortinas and a Jag or two. I simply thought they were on their way back from a rally somewhere.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon