Fifth gear abuse?

snip

Hmmm - I'm inclined to think that the oil system (if in good fettle) is designed to offer certain minimums at slightly lower than idle speed. There's either a useful oil film thickness there or not - I doubt the middle ground is particularly wide. This is just intuitive reasoning, and someone more qualified is welcome to chime in...

snippetysnip

S'very interesting. And you've clearly investigated this in depth!

On my next tankful of petrol I'm going to use the gears more, and drive like my wife a bit (hang in third until 38mph) - and I'll see if *anything* happens to the consumption ;-)

Cheers all - interesting stuff!

Reply to
DocDelete

You mean the next twenty tanks? :)

For the next stage I need to bring a laptop running Windoze, since this can log more than two inputs...

Reply to
DervMan

electing not to

and bulbous knees

most comfortable

Actually they prefer to find a preferred RPM for their legs and stick to that as it gets the best effect from the lungs and muscles (or shoud that be petrol and gears?).

So in effect the cyclist is getting best efficiency by sticking to a pretty fixed RPM (narrow band) just like your car does.

Rv! Sorry for the very late post.

Reply to
Rv!