First electric radiator fan

A question for the collected wisdom. Which was the first car to be factory fitted with an electric radiator fan. The best I can do so far is the Series 2 E- type of 1969 which had two of them. I suspect earlier E- types used them as well but am not sure. I know Kenlowe started in the mid 1950's but it is original factory equipment I'm after.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

I'm pretty sure the Reliant Scimitar GTE had an electric fan from the beginning (1968) and the V6 coupe /may/ have done. It's certainly not obvious how you'd drive the fan by any other means, unless you had a long flexible coupling snaking around the place.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

I'd look at one of the small volume makers. Jensen? Reliant?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Our Interceptor has three electric fans /and/ the viscous jobby.

Reply to
Pete M

Probably not quite what you mean, but I had a 1960 Peugeot 403 whose fan had an electric clutch, activated by a temperature sensor in the pipe from the radiator to the cylinder block - i.e. in normal motoring hardly ever. And very smooth it was too.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Hi Group, The Lotus Elite first out in 1959 had a similar arrangement. The temperature sensor triggered the operation of the fan. The only problem was that is was very seldom needed so that when it was needed it sometimes failed to work. Alan

Reply to
Roberts

I've got a bit further back. Apparently the E-Type had an electric fan from day one - 1961 - although alleged to be not very efficient which is why the Series II got two of them and with bigger motors. Also from 1961 the TVR Grantura had one. Must now check earlier TVRs. and does anyone know about Marcos?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Well, that's Lotuses for you ;-) The Peugeot one was reliable - but it was some time ago...

The thing I remember about that Elite is the aerodynamics. Normally the airflow around the driver's window is in a fairly turbulent state when the car is being driven quickly and you have to stick your hand out quite a way before you encounter stationary air. Not so with the Elite; if you don't keep your finger nails short you risk having them dragged off the moment they emerge from the window.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

The Ginetta G4 had one, but can't really call anything on the G4 'factory fitted' though.

It was manufactured from 1964 to 1969 (and 82 to 83)

Richard Web pages are:

for most things to do withcaravanning,
my personal web site and
because I loves the domain name for email

Reply to
Richard Cole

Something mid-engined with a front radiator.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I reckon it were a jowett jupiter R4 in the early fifties!

Reply to
Colin Doncaster