Fitting windows

Does anyone have any advice, hints or tips, regarding fitting window seals. The rear window (curved perspex) seal on my MGB hardtop has past it's use-by date. A windcreen repair place removed it, discovered that the rubber seal that had would not fit, so replaced the window with the old seal. It blew out at 50mph the next day (fortunately not hitting anyone or getting run over) so when I obtain a correct seal I shall be loath to return to that firm again. I believe that fitting involves string or tape for pulling rubber, but what, where, and in what order?

Peter C.

Reply to
cornelp

First place the seal around the glass. Join usually at the bottom.

You get some strong nylon cord about 1/8" dia. Starting at the bottom corner get the cord into the seal all around and overlap to the bottom opposite corner.

Place the screen against the opening and pull the cord from the inside of the car thus rolling the inside lip of the seal over into the opening. Get someone to hold pressure against the glass so that it stays there till you work all the lip of the rubber inside the car.

The only other thing you need is a bent flat screwdriver (used as a hook device) so if you miss a bit you can pull that bit in.

Sealer is used after if it wants to leak but I can't see that necessary with an MG as they leak anyway!

Another suggestion would be fix the hardtop to the car first as there is a far amount of pressure used to work the rubber in. And the opening maybe distorted if its not.

Its not all that difficult.

Reply to
Rob

hiya

running some washing up liquid around the rubber helps it slip into place if it's a tight fit and also reduces the chance of the pull cord tearing the rubber.

pottsy

Does the workshop manual not show how? Buy a Rootes car - most Rootes manuals show how to fit windows!

Pete

Reply to
Peter

Buy a Rootes car just to get a manual on how to fit windows, to an MG hardtop. Now that's along way around.

Reply to
Rob