Fixing Door Cards

Hi guys,

Im wondering if anyone knows the best way to fasten door cards on. I have cut out some new ones for myself without any holes at present but the holes in the door are about 8mm which is a bit too wide for rivets, and screws or bolts will probably look a bit bulky.

My best thought so far is to drill new smaller holes in the door and use rivets but can anyone come up with any better ideas using these existing 8mm holes or any other ideas whatsoever, maybe without drilling more holes in the door?

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Dunno what car it is, but possibly drilling new holes for small instrument head self tapping screws, with chrome cup washers would look more professional than rivets. I would have thaught it's also useful, in that the cards can easily be removed and replaced. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

How were the original cards fixed? Many use a clip locating onto a hole in the card backing, then into the panel with a prong at 90 degrees to the card. The oversize hole sounds like it might accept a plastic top hat receptacle to receive the clip. Let us know what car you're working on and someone might be able to offer more specific information, Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

Hi again,

Its a MK1 Escort but ive got totally new cards and re cut them myself. I took out the plastic "top hats" as most of them were damaged and they probably wouldn't have worked with my new cards as they would be showing and look a mess really.

Thanks for your help so far but anymore suggestions are welcome,

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Get the proper original-type fixing clips - pretty well anything is available if you know where to look. For example the ones used on Minis are 22p each from Minispares, but tbh that sounds a bit steep. I'd recommend you get in touch with Bresco

who are cheap and efficient and a superb company to deal with in my experience - posted out the trim clips before I sent my cheque!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The standard way is to cut 'Oo' holes in the card which accept press studs. They have clearance into the 'O' and slide into the 'o' part which locates them. Then simply press into the door frame holes. The vinyl etc covering of the card conceals them. All the trim suppliers like Woolies stock them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you could pop rivet some velcro hooks onto the door and glue the velcro hooks onto your door cards with evo stik.

that should do the trick I did that some time ago on an old HA viva

Reply to
Big Mc