Ford Taunus P4

Just bought a Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio on eBay Germany (for my Beetle) and the radio faceplate it came with is apparently for a Ford Taunus P4. What on earth is it?!?

Pictures I have found look rather like a Ford Cortina/Granada mixture. Did we ever get a similar car in the UK?

Just curious really... :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Howard Rose decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

A strange FWD Cortina rival. 1200cc V4.

The Mk1 Cortina was built as a direct rival to it. To the extent that when the Taunus was being designed it had the codename "Cardinal". The Mk1 Cortina had the codename "Archbishop" just to score some points.

In Europe it was a strange situation because in, for example, Belgium you'd have a Ford dealership on one side of the road selling the German based and built Taunus, and on the other side of the road would be another dealership selling the Dagenham Dustbin.

Reply to
Pete M

Not quite not all were fwd the last version was rwd, from 1970 onwards Taunus was used as the german market name for the Cortina MK3 with a slightly different front and rear treatment. to be more correct the Cortina MK3 was the name we gave to the rwd Taunus, unlike the trim UK designed Mk1 and Mk2 the obese ghastly Cortina Mk3 was aimed squarely at the German market. A few rwd Taunus could be seen on UK roads mainly brought in by BAOR servicemen.

Reply to
Domminic Hyde

but they weren't the Taunus P4 were they?

Reply to
Pete M