Fuel tank rust

I've restored the outside of the tank, but the well at the bottom on the inside has some rust. Impossible to get at of course - just about visible through the sender unit hole. Even more difficult, there's a baffle over it. Do I need to worry about this? Otherwise the tank is quite sound, and the rusty area is still strong. After 44 years it's only got to this stage so maybe it will last another 44. What can I use to remove the rust and treat the area (if I need to) without getting at it physically?

Reply to
Les Rose

Just make sure the tank is kept well topped up -- if there is no oxygen and no water inside the tank it can't rust from the inside.

Generaly the outside old rusty petrol tanks shouldn't be cleaned and painted as this can cause leaks, just gently clean then a very light spray with Zinc primer, then Hammerite and waxoyl

Reply to
awm

Eastwood sell a slosh etch primer and sealant that you can use if you feel the need.

It would be just my luck to buy a vehicle which had been restored only on the outside! R

Reply to
R Strong

Oh, I can get another tank easily enough (car is Frogeye Sprite), I'm just mean. It costs £74 from AH Spares which is not too bad but the old one is very sound, it's just that the plating has deteriorated in one place inside. I think I'll leave it be and if it leaks I can either weld it or fit a new one. Yes, I know all about how dangerous it is to weld a petrol tank. Suitable precautions would be employed!

Reply to
Les Rose

Can you just remind me of Eastwood's URL please if you have it?

Reply to
Les Rose

Apologies, Eastwood are a US company but their products are available through the UK distributor, Frost Restorations - have a look at

not the cheapest place to get these things but wortha look if only to get ideas and go source the stuff elsewhere!There's even a tips page with how to seal a fuel tank -
've no financial interest in these people, never bought anything from them.