Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Fur around battery terminal
- Dan Smithers
July 15, 2008, 3:51 am
rate this thread
Re: Fur around battery terminal
It is a Sulphate caused by the reaction between the metal of the
connector and the fumes from the battery acid. It is usually a sign
that the battery is not as healthy as it was.
The crystals will corrode steel, so you need to make sure that they
don't crumble off into the battery tray. They will eventually eat away
the battery connector if you ignore them.
It is best cleaned off with household ammonia followed by a good rinse
with clean water. Then grease everything with Vaseline and reassemble.