getting bearing on input shaft: won't go further

Input shaft in question: '79 Spitfire w/ ovd.

I tapped the new bearing + oil flinger onto the input shaft, keeping a close eye on the oil flinger(to keep straight), but it won't go any further. On the outer face of the bearing, the groove is cleared. But any further tapping won't make it go further on getting enough room to get the thrust washer in.

Is the thrust washer 100% necessary? It seems like this new bearing is too thick to allow room for the thrust washer. I looked on rimmer bros' website and it seems that this(thrust washer) was an "up until xxxxx" item. But I'm at work, so I don't know the serial # of my gearbox offhand.

Should I take it to a machine shop to get that little bit more pressed in and call it a day? I'm concerned about getting that geear lined up just right with its buddy gear on the layshaft.

Reply to
british1500

I wouldn't worry about the thrust washer on this model, the tolerance is well below +/-5% so it will allow for regradition through the bearings, this is common practice throughtout the the Triumph models even the earliest of TRs

Reply to
Dr F.G. Manner-Moore

Thanks for the reply(wow has this NG died down). I mislabeled the part in question: It's actually a 'distance washer'. Tomorrow I'll start putting it all together.

Reply to
S1500

Died down? It's livelier now than it has been for months! 'Twas like a morgue in here around Christmas!

Reply to
Chris Bolus