Haynes manual question

Hi,

Are the Haynes (UK) 'service and repair manual' of a certain model of car *identical* with the 'owners workshop manual'??

Or have both books a different setup?

TX rob

Reply to
rill2

you are joking?

No?

The two are entirely different, they may not even cover the same vehicle mentioned on the front cover, Haynes are a less than last resort, of such limited value that I would rather take a guess than look in one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hi ;-)

Didn't want to irritate anyone.. Maybe my text is a little confusing?!

In my row of motorbooks I have a Haynes manual about the Ford Sierra

1982 to June 1989. It is number 903 and on its cover is: "owners workshop manual". (I got it from a car jumble).

When I look now at the Haynesonline shop, and search for '903' I get a book about the Ford Sierra: " Ford Sierra 4-cyl Petrol (82 - 93) up to K", and on the cover it has "service and repair manual".

So, counting on the pure '903' number, it seems to be an old book in a new modern cover. There seems to be no Haynes "owners workshop manual" on this car availabel any more, which may be a point for my 'recover theory'.

My original question was: are both books (in this example the Ford's) identical in the stuff they cover?

I came to this question as I had bought a 'service and repair' book on my upcoming Austin Metro, of Haynes (new) (as it was the only one available), and after that I saw on ebay Haynes 'owners workshop manual's offered about the same car and type. And therefore I wondered...

TX rob

Reply to
rill2

If you mean "do Haynes make two different books for the same car?" Then no, Haynes do a manual then sometimes they update it a little when production of the car stops.

I thought you meant is Haynes and genuine manual the same.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I agree the current ones are useless but the earlier ones were OK and much better than some of the alternatives (Autodata?). Most importantly, they usually told you how to do the job with normal tools instead of Churchill Tool Number 446a as in the genuine workshop manual.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

All I can say is I find later Haynes to be crap. They seem to want to use a new index system that I don't find at all friendly, and half the really useful info has now been replaced with "refer to your main dealer service agent". If possible, look for or stick with the older ones, same goes for the Metro. Good choice by the way, cracking litle cars if you need something a touch larger than a Mini :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Yes IMHO about 80% of the special tools in a BMC manual are not essential. Well on second thoughts probably 100% are not essential as I have never bought any!

Also my Sprite & Midget manual (genuine original BMC one) contains quite a few errors.

Reply to
Asolepius

For many older cars they did an Owner's Workshop Manual and an Owner's Handbook. I have both for the Herald, for example.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

That is not entirely true. I have Haynes number 030 "Triumph 2000 and 2.5PI Owners Workshop Manual" and Haynes number 336 "Triumph 2000, 2500 & 2.5PI". They are not the same - there are a number of differences in the wiring diagrams, for instance, and the older book is right for my 2000 and the newer book is right for my 2.5. Yet my PI is an older car than the 2000. Make of that what you will.

However, when I bought the PI, I also got the genuine ring-binder style workshop manual with it, so that is where I tend to look first.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

The short answer is "they are different" - in my experience. I understand that Haynes purchase a vehicle, using the manufacturers workshop manual for guidance they strip it down and rebuild it. Obviously things like dimensions and torque settings and electrical diagram must be taken from the manufacturers' info. One advantage of the Haynes books is that they usually have a profusion of photographs, although by choice, I would always base my work on the manufacturers' documentation.

Pete

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.classic Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:48 PM Subject: Haynes manual question

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

The short answer is "they are different" - in my experience. I understand that Haynes purchase a vehicle, using the manufacturers workshop manual for guidance they strip it down and rebuild it. Obviously things like dimensions and torque settings and electrical diagram must be taken from the manufacturers' info. One advantage of the Haynes books is that they usually have a profusion of photographs, although by choice, I would always base my work on the manufacturers' documentation.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

As in the way you post rather than the correct way.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

ITYWF they hire one if they can. Makes more sense than buying it.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson