Help identifying an antique car

Hello, As part of an art history research project I am trying to definitively identify the make, model and year of a car that appeared in a 1952 collage by the artist Eduardo Paolozzi. The car, along with the collage, is pictured here:

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who can provide any information at all regarding this. Thanks in advance. Regards, Ryan snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
johnston.rs

That's a 1951 Kaiser.

George Patterson If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess to anything.

Reply to
George Patterson

George Patterson realised it was Thu, 22 Feb 2007

04:18:20 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Yep, 1951 Kaiser Frazer Continental. Production figure was 8,888. Or thereabouts.

Reply to
Yippee

======================================== Ummm....been a long time since I owned a '51 Kaiser, and I didn't have it long enough to become knowledgeable, but I'm pretty sure I remember a couple of things about them.

The Frazer was the sister to the Kaiser, with different sheetmetal. See

for a picture ofone.

So while there were several Kaiser model names, Frazer wasn't one of them but rather a different car.

I don't think Continental was used as a Kaiser model name until later...maybe '54 or '55. I could be wrong about that, though--as I say, I wasn't an expert even when I had one. I do believe the underpowered industrial 6-cylinder engine used in the Kaiser was a Continental.

Joe

Reply to
Heather & Joe Way

the heekster

Reply to
duke39

Reply to
johnston.rs

The '51 Frazer was built on the 1950 K/F body, with attractive update / modifuication,making it the best looking of all Frazers. By 1951 Joe F and Hank K hated each other. Edgard K was running the company as best as he could despite the bad feelings. (POI The first Frazers that rolled off the KF assembly link bore the plate, "A product of Graham- Paige," a company which JF still owned. HK put a stop to that. Afet 1955, Kaiser moved to Argentina, building the '55 models for a while. Kaiser moved the Willys production to Brazil at about the same time. The Willys Jeep line had stayed in the US, under different owners.

Studebaker had the motto: "Give more than you promise.". I guess I did that with this answer.

Reply to
Stude

The giveaway is the windshield. You'll notice it dips down in the middle; it was dubbed the "Sweetheart Dip". Kaiser had it, Frazer didn't.

Rabbit

Reply to
Rabbit

Also, 1951 is a split windshield/screen. For 1952 and on Frazers, it was one piece.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Grrrr. I meant Kaiser, not Frazer.

Reply to
Dean Dark

its a Hudson Hornet mid 50's

Reply to
capnbk

No, it isn't. It's a Kaiser.

Reply to
Premier Bush

With a time machine to take the photo back a few years?

George Patterson If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess to anything.

Reply to
George Patterson

"Premier Bush" wrote in news:JeWdnVua1KTFZXfYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

You may find this picture of a Kaiser advert interesting possible inspiration perhaps

second picture down

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hudson Hornet? You've got to be kidding me. The Kaiser doesn't even vaguely resemble the Kaiser.

Reply to
Otto Skorzeny

I meant the Hudson doesn't even vaguely resemble the Kaiser.

Reply to
Otto Skorzeny

Rather than the other way round?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Otto Skorzeny" saying something like:

That moustache would fool anyone.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I think what bothers me about this whole discussion is that I could have driven car when it was new. (Not legally, of course...)

Reply to
Stude