help reqd .... Buying a car on ebay

Whats the procedure when buying a car from an ebay seller at the other end of the country, I,m afraid i'll send the cash, send a transporter for the car and the car wont be there!

Reply to
Stephen White

Never done it, but I would suggest say, 10% up front, rest on delivery/collection? Most people normally state their terms when posting the item?

Reply to
Neil

"Stephen White >@beatroute.freeserve.co.uk>" of

Some car transport people will hand over the cash on your behalf (provided you've given it them first :-)), though even this involves risking your deposit with the seller and your cash, plus the transport fee, with the transport firm. You can't expect the transporter driver to decide whether the car's worth what you bid, though, or even if it's as described by the seller, though it's worth giving him your phone number in case there's something obviously horribly wrong. You could also ride along with the transporter, or arrange to meet him at the seller's place, though this might cost you a little more as it reduces the transporter's flexibility. I don't think I'd send a large wodge of money to someone I'd never met for a car I'd never seen, but some folk do - that's how I sold a Bentley recently.

It all comes down to trust - if it's a seller with a good feedback rating, who's answered your emails in a friendly and knowledgeable way, you're perhaps not taking too much of a risk of there being no car.

-- Kevin Poole

**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)*** B42CF, B270NZ, SA 1838, TC 8512, GAN3/48519, GAN4/63840, GHD5/324616 Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - £25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Reply to
Autolycus

Send a small (=A35) deposit and pay on collection. My friend sells quite=20 a few cars on E-Bay and is used to people just paying when they turn up=20 to collect. I think most sellers would be the same.

--=20 Conor

"Cogito Eggo Sum" - "I think, therefore I am a waffle"

Reply to
Conor

I'd recommend that you took a train there and drove it home - I'm sure the vendor will give you a lift from the station.

Failing that, hire a car transporter and go and get it.

Alternatively, get one of those collection services to get it for you, whilst you do a funds transfer of the purchase price.

Don't forget, at the fall of the (electronic) hammer, you have bought the car - if you aren't prepared to go through with it, don't bid.

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

Provided it is 'as described'. If the seller has misrepresented the vehicle in a significant way you can still walk away. The seller may obviously object but if he's tried to pull a fast one there should be no problem.

Reply to
Doug