Help - worn handbrake ratchet (AH Sprite)

Hi All

I'm trying to fix a worn out handbrake ratchet. It seems to have been fixed in the past - signs of welding deposits and filing. I'm worried about making it worse if I attack it with a file. Does anyone have advice?

Thanks

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Surprised you can't get a replacement "rachet and pawl" kit. All BMC/Austin-Rover handbrakes levers were variations on the same theme so you should be able to patch it up using the rachet and pawl bits from say a Metro handbrake even if you have to cut the ratchet section out and weld it onto/into the old quadrant mounting lugs taking care not overheat the hardened section, I did this years ago with an MGTF handbrake and it worked a treat. The hand brake ratchet must be able to withstand being bumped by any MOT testers hand without slipping to pass MOT.

Reply to
AWM

Could be a good time to convert to fly off type. I assume the bits are still available for that.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Didn't the TF have a 'fly off' handbrake? Makes a nonsense of the 'don't use the ratchet' brigade if it wore out too. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Get a new one

Parts cattle dog here.

who may also be able to supply the part.

Reply to
ops

You don't need any bits just soften the pawl so it can be re-drilled , drill in a different postion then re harden and temper.

Trouble is how many MOT testers understand what a fly-off handbrake is.

Reply to
awm