how much better are grooved brake drums ?

If I replace my standard rear brake drums on my Capri 280 with grooved ones, should I expect any noticeable improvement in braking performance? There are disks at the front, obviously,

Many thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Jaap

Considering the front brakes do most of the braking, I shouldnt think it'll make much difference. Better off uprating the front brakes

Alex

Reply to
Alex

No difference, apart from the problems related to heat bulid up drum expansion and fade the main problem with drum brakes is that the drums and shoes can never be stiff enough-- grooved drums although they allow gas and brake dust to escape won't help this. Your V6 Capri puts abut 85% of the engery generated high speed braking into the front brakes, on the Capri and rwd Escort the front brakes simply don't get enough cooling air flow. The only simple mod that will prodice a worth while improvement is good quality high performance brake pads.

Reply to
Ernest Bilko