How much is too much....

A little while ago, my 75 Spitfires engine had a vacuum line that was split. After the obligatory vacuum line joke from my local auto store employee, he procured a length of the correct size and I managed to get the engine running again.

I was pondering this weekend while I was on a road trip (Sadly, not in it) just how much of the lines and bottles up there are really necessary?

Reply to
Howard

You can get away without a bottle - my Triumph 2000 hasn't got one, my PI has. But if your Spit has a bottle fitted, I would keep it.

The difference is that if the engine cuts out, the vacuum stored in the bottle will give 4 or 5 fully power assisted stops, but without it you get one stop that is nearly power assisted and after that, no assistance. You can't do cadence braking on slippery surfaces without a bottle either because the vacuum doesn't have time to recover before you reapply the brakes.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Does a Spitfire really need a servo at all? My Vitesse's brakes feel fine without one, so I wouldn't see it as essential on the lighter Spitfire with the same brakes.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

"Howard" realised it was 3 Jul 2006 17:59:00

-0700 and decided it was time to write:

Judging from the e-mail address you use and your IP-nr, I'm guessing you're posting from the US. That probably means you're talking about a US-spec Spitfire with all manner of smog control equipment, which was thankfully lacking on UK- and Euro-spec Spits.

Now you have some of the inhabitants of this (UK) newsgroup confused, as they seem to believe you're talking about vacuum for a brake servo - which was never a standard fitment on any Spitfire.

Anyway - if you want to talk about the smog control stuff on Spits, this really isn't the best place. I suggest you get yourself subscribed to the Spitfires mailing list, which is full of helpful Americans with similar cars, some of which still have their power sapping US-spec pumps, bottles, hoses and what have you.

Go to this web page for more information:

to the mailing list is a matter of e-mailing to snipped-for-privacy@autox.team.net with 'subscribe spitfires' or 'subscribespitfiresdigest' (without the quotes) in the subject line. You'll beasked to confirm your subscription - read the instructions. It's a busylist from what I remember, but worth it. Just tell'em I sent you. ;-)

Reply to
Yippee

I would have to double check, but I don't think I have vacuum assited brakes. Which migh explain all the capped and plugged lines at the valve cover.

Thanks Jim.

R/ Howard

Jim Warren wrote:

Reply to
Howard

Yippee,

Yes, I am in the US. Columbus Ohio.

The vacuum line I replaced ran from the carburater to a filter in front of the radiator.

As for the smog control, Well, the air pump was gone when I got the car, and it runs fine. I would like to simplify as much of the car as I can.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it did not come with vacuum assist breaking. But there have been a few days where I could have used it.

I will visit the web site you suggested.

Thank you again.

R/ Howard

Yippee wrote:

Reply to
Howard

Yippee,

Thanks again. They are hammering away on all sorts of topics. I might be able to get an word in.

For the non- US cars is there a schematic/diagram for what it should and should not have. I have a Haynes manual, but I think it is about 20 years old.

Thanks again.

R/ Howard

Howard wrote:

Reply to
Howard

I wouldn't worry unless the manuals older than the car...

Reply to
Doki

"Howard" realised it was 5 Jul 2006 19:01:02

-0700 and decided it was time to write:

The original Spitfire 1500 workshop manual has diagrams and drawings fo the engine compartment for both US-market cars and for other markets. You should be able to deduce a lot from that.

The youngest Triumph Spitfire is 26 years old now, so that's OK. ;-)

Reply to
Yippee

_Some_ of the US market Spits ("50 state" ? version) are described. Californians had even more kit in there, some of which isn't listed. If you're working on a re-imported Californian Spit, this can get confusing.

Has anyone ever seen a vacuum bottle to provide vacuum for a servo on a car as light as a Spit? I haven't - I've had plenty that powered ancillaries such as aircon flaps or doorlocks, but the only brake vacuum bottles I've seen were on older Jags with Dunlop brakes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

DISCLAIMER: I'm in the US with a US-Spit('79)

There's no vacuum brake assist in the Spitfires(correct). on the GT-6 they do offer an aftermarket vacuum brake assist, which is of course pricey.

As for smog equipment, I am no stranger to that. Since emissions testing stopped in my state, I removed the air pump, switched to a 4-2-1 exhaust, and a plain intake manifold(for a Weber DGV). I do have the 2 carbon canisters and the breather system to go back to the fuel tank, however.

Reply to
S1500