I've been musing

Sounds just like the Rover P4, and I survived two of those. Mind you, I was younger and fitter in those days...

I included the Standards because I remember a motoring magazine doing an engine strip on one to see what was worn out after a quarter of a million miles (it was a taxi, used by three drivers on shifts). The answer was not much.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

At least the P4 handles quite well.

Well, it's the Harry Westlake designed Ferguson tractor engine - with wet liners. Designed for ultra long life - especially with the abysmal power output of the Ensign. My dad had a 1600cc one from new and it was quite the worst car I've ever driven. It replaced a Series II Oxford and was worse in every way apart from colour. It was a pretty shade of blue, the Oxford beige.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think the advice generally is:

Worth getting: Triumph Herald/Vitesse - decent cars with good spares support Hillman Imp - unloved by many, but I have owned two and I got on with them OK.

OK if virtually rust free: Austin A40 - Mechanical spares OK but body parts difficult Vauxhall Viva - but the HB rather than the HA. Ideally SL90 Morris Oxford - also consider Magnette and 4/72

Worth considering, and not on my original list: Cortina - I had a MkI and hated it, but MKIII might be OK Mini Estate/Countryman - I didn't include a mini because they are a bit small (especially the boot). Hadn't considered the variants though, and they might suit. Also 1100 if virtually rust free. Morris Minor - I drove one once, and found at least one of the pedals/seat/steering wheel distances uncomfortable for me however I adjusted the seat. Could stand it for short journeys though. There have been a couple stolen round my way, so would need a top quality anti-theft gizmo.

Don't touch: Standard Vanguard/Ensign Singer Gazelle/Hillman SuperMinx

Interesting suggestion, but no thanks: MGBGT - not enough room in the back Land Rover/Range Rover - Could be fun, but I was really looking for something smaller - for car parks with smaller spaces. There is also an active anti-4x4 environmental gestapo around here and it might get keyed.

I had heard of a cheap Vanguard, but have come to the conclusion I won't bother going to look at it. But there are enough ideas for ones worth owning to keep me quiet for a bit. Thanks all.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Why don't pensioners like you do us all a favour and just get the bus, in this way the roads won't be clogged up with wankers like you driving at 24MPH everywhere?...Just a thought, hope this helps.

Reply to
Duncan

Since I didn't see it anyones' replies I am left curious about whether there is any interest in the Triumph Dolomite and Sprint. I remember being very excited about the Sprint as a schoolboy at its launch in

1970(?) but have seen or heard much since.

(Of course a quick google reveals an owners club, so they must still be about)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Amey

I quite like the ol' Dolloposhite Sprint.

Reply to
Pete M

Well, I've been musing too.

Although my driving instructor had a Herald, my dad had a Standard Ensign in which I passed my test. Not the asthmatic 1600 ( or more like 1670cc? Jim) but the "proper" 2138 cc one. It went like stink in a straight line, but handled like a Morris Marina!

The Herald based cars are basic, also are a little twitchy, rust like hell, but are easy to fix. After spending several hundred pounds, my son sold his

1200 saloon( his first ever car) after 5 years of ownership, four years ago. I think it has now been scrapped. He's now on his second Spitfire!

I've sadly also owned 5 Imps ( including a Sport and a Husky). They will still have clutch, water pump, throttle cable and occasional head gasket failures. Great to drive in their time, but sadly unreliable.

I now own a Dolly 1850 Auto. Bought it on eBay 3 months ago for less than a grand and took part in a Classic Rally last weekend. Finished 3rd in class ( crap navigator) and I love it. Time to put it away however, and get out the Stag for the Summer. (Anyone want to buy my TR7? See the next topic).

One garage owner in these parts drove one Morris Oxford after another. They all rusted too. Latterly, he had a Volvo 144. I used to have an Amazon. Now, this was too heavy for my wife to drive at the time, so my brother in law acquired it. It's in bits somewhere, but you can buy good ones and they are reliable. One of these would be my first choice!

At the end of the day, you buy what your dad did, knowing what'll go wrong. Otherwise, go for safety and purchase something a little more modern, like a Golf Mk1 GTi or an early Porker ( 944s are cheap) or a Mk 1 Escort. You can use one of these every day and it will be great fun?

Ken

1981 TR7 2 litre DHC 1976 Dolomite 1850 Auto 1974 Stag Auto 2006 Rover 75 CDTi Auto 2003 Mini Cooper Auto 2004 Hotpoint Fridge
Reply to
Ken Forrest

The 'beauty' of the smaller engine was the economy. It had the same gearing as the Vanguard - and won the Mobile economy run on several occasions. The later larger engined version was simply a stripped out Vanguard. An anti-roll bar helped the handling enormously. Still dreadful, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)