Importing to the UK

Just acquired a '79 VW Type 2 Westy Berlin from Ireland. But its newly imported in to Ireland from the USA, all import taxes and duties paid....but not registered.

How are the DVLA and HM Customs likely to handle this.

Technically its being imported from an EU country, so *shouldn't* require further import duties or taxes...but has never been registered in an EU country.

Oddly (sarcasm!) I can't find anything on the DVLA website to cover this particular scenario.

Anyone had experience of importing a vehicle to the UK under similar circumstances?

Can you give me an idiots guide of what to do, how to do it, and what order to do it in, to get it registered and road legal in the UK.

TIA

Reply to
caroline

caroline ("caroline" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You've presumably got the Irish duty payment receipt? Just submit that to DVLA with the rest of the paperwork.

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

Thanks for your swift reply Adrian

And fingers crossed that should suffice?

One more Q, what's the story with driving it home (southern England) from the ferry port (most probably Fishguard) on its US plates? Is it possible, feasible?

Reply to
caroline

caroline ("caroline" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Gawd knows... I'm nine months into getting a V5C changed from "2cv" to "2cv 4x4" with no end in sight. Only two inspections so far...

Legally? No way.

Reply to
Adrian

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Adrian, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Unless you can find some trade plates.

All this malarky is one of the reasons I'm keeping the Tatra registered in Czech, it'll be based there in a year or so anyway :-)

Reply to
Pete M

As I recall - I saw this when searching the DVLA website for something else, but can't find it again, dammit - you can drive on foreign plates for six(?) months after import. When I bought my DS it was happily and legally going around with South African plates although it also had, by then, a british registration number.

Would it not just be easier for the OP to register it in Ireland?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Ian (Ian ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. IF it's legal in the country it's registered in - which means in your name at your address, taxed, insured and tested according to the requirements of that country.

If they've got an Irish address...

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian"

Yup I do have an Irish address. But because the van isn't over 30 year of age (its only 29) it would attract VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax - an Irish novelty)., which would make this a very expensive way around. If I was doing this in a year's time the van would be VRT exempt and it would be a no-brainer.

Reply to
caroline

Is it worth finding out the exact date of manufacture to see how much of that year you'd need to wait? As its a camper, there was probably a delay between the base vehicle's construction and the camper conversion. I'd be surprised if it took them a year, but you never know.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (Willy Eckerslyke ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's likely to be based on first-reg date, though. The UK's 1/1/73 historic vehicle is a rare exception, based on build date rather than first-reg.

Reply to
Adrian

When I got the DS it was off the SA register and on the UK one. V5C, MOT, insurance, tax disc, the lot. All showing the UK registration number, but it was still OK for me to show the SA plate for a bit. Presumably because The System knew which UK registration corresponded to it.

Or have Irish friends. Why didn;t the person who imported it register it?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Tatra?

Do let me know when you get bored of that ;)

RichardK (wants one. Doesn't matter if it's a 601 or 711 or whatever).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

"Ian" wrote

The bus was imported as a competition prize. As the competition was open to Irish and UK members, there was no point registering it until the prize winner was drawn.

Reply to
caroline

Ah. I wonder if it would be any easier to register it in NI?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

It's an 805 :-D

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ("Pete M" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you don't stop taunting me by mentioning it, you WILL be meeting killfile, y'bastard.

Reply to
Adrian

Tempted by an ancient, huge, gas-guzzling, unreliable money pit? You poor simpleton...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Ian Dalziel, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

IT could be worse... you could own my Rangie.

Reply to
Pete M

*speechless*

*envy*

RichardK

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Misdirecting: Adrian! Siani got a 2CV Charleston and it caught fire - don't suppose you have any engine shrouds or know where to get them moderately-priced, do you? Or a complete engine with shrouds intact? She wants to fix or sell it, but it's not going for an MOT until I fix the manifold gasket, and I'm not doing that until I have "not burned" shrouds...

RichardK (also - I'm considering a big Citroen again ;) )

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick