Is this radiator grille from a old Riley or Wolseley?

In 1964 it was used on the stock car of Nev Hughes, shown here at Long Eaton:

If it's neither, can anyone identify the grille? Thanks.

Reply to
Worshipper

Looks like the Riley diamond shaped badge, AFAIK the Wolseley badge was oval, but I don't know when they put a light behind it certainly around in the late 1930s. Bye Don

Reply to
Donwill

Wolseley were more angular across the top

I thinks more on the lines of a Singer and the doors long bonnet but the grill does not roll back enough.

Alvis? similar grill.

Reply to
Rob

Gee, it's not QUITE any of those three, is it? Viewers can ignore the rest of the bodywork, which is mostly Fiat 500 Topolino (of which there were scores and scores on stock cars, though I never saw one on the road!)

Any more suggestions?

Reply to
Brafield

Rover 75 1949-ish..

Reply to
Molesworth

Molesworth gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

P3? Interesting guess - but don't think so. Too narrow, too small, and the badge/top shape's wrong.

Adrian

Would not surprise me if it were not a truck grill as it does not have a crank hole which suggests that the grill was higher than the crankshaft or too difficult to crank a truck.

I was looking at it being as a whole unit with the bonnet and engine covers,

Reply to
Rob

like

I think you're right --thank you ---- does anyone know a good forum / group / website for older commercial vehicles??

Reply to
Brafield

That doesn't not necessarily follow. The Morris Minor crank handle goes through the front bumper rather than the grille, and I think the Jowett was the same (the picture is of neither of those though).

If you magnify the picture, it doesn't look as though there is a name badge, rather some holes where a badge would be fixed. My instinct is that the cowling and the vertical bars that make up the grille are from two different vehicles and have been assembled for appearance rather than authenticity. Thin vertical bars are likely to be later (say late

1940s) than a deep cowling (say 1930s).

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Jim, here is the best I could do, from a higher-res version of the original photo:

I think I can see some lettering, with perhaps an elongated "S" in the centre? Certainly that ridge leading back must be a clue to someone?

Reply to
Brafield

The badge has been identified by Delahaye experts as a 1930s Delahaye badge, but nobody can "place" the surround. Oddly, the intergral ridge leading from the top of the badge to the rad cap IS a Delahaye feature on some of their prewar commercial features. So yes, perhaps ithe in-fill bars are a later addition. Fascinating to research, and I haven't stopped yet!

Reply to
Brafield

Thanks for the update

Rob

Brafield gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Delahaye? Blimey o'Reilly.

I can see a basic resemblance, certainly... (clearly not the right model, but Delahayes did tend to be coachbuilt)

Adrian

coachbuilt)

Blimey O'Reilly is right --- and so is Delahaye! The original builder-racer of this stock car has just been located, and he confirms that the radiator grille and bonnet were taken from a

1937 Delahaye that was an insurance write-off.
Reply to
moneypenny