Jaguar MK II for sale

Hi,

My father in law is wanting to sell his MK II Jaguar and asked me to try and sell it on the internet. Pictures of it can be found at

will accept any reasonable offers (obviously you will need morethan the pictures to make an offer but hopefully they will let youknow if its worth pursuing).

Reply to
Rob J

I think a whole lot more info is called for, specification, history, consition, location, price etc etc.

Not a Jag expert but is'nt D reg rather late for the wide bumper? R

Reply to
R Strong

A couple of basic questions - which engine (2.4. 3.4 or 3.8)? This will make a huge difference to the price. Also, it appears to be a 1966 - does it have the all-synchro gearbox, preferably with o/d, or the earlier Moss box? They changed over around 65/66.

Regards,

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

It is the 3.8, all-synchro gearbox with o/d.

The car spent most of its life in South Africa so hasn't suffered much in the way of corrosion.

Reply to
Rob J

Which part of SA was it in ??

Reply to
Igundwane

Lucky man! This is the most desirable spec of all - financially, at least, as the 3.4 was actually a rather nicer engine and the performance was not much less. However, fashion dictates that the 3.8 is the one to have.

If it's a South African car, I'm curious as to how it ended up with a UK "D" plate. This indicates 1965/66. Do you know when it was manufactured? The Jaguar Heritage people will help you if you give them the chassis number etc.

Value - oh, difficult. Do the numbers match? I.e. does it have the original engine, gearbox and back axle? Again, Heritage will be able to tell you what it was originally supplied with. And is there any maintenance history with the car?

But the body/chassis condition is all-important. Mechanical parts are easy to come by and not that expensive, but a proper body restoration will cost a shed load of money. As will the interior - there's an awful lot of leather and wood in there - think £6k upwards for a decent retrim.

Prices are all over the place. A couple of years ago it would have been somewhere between £20k and £35k. Now, fortunately for enthusiasts rather than speculators, they have dropped considerably. A "project" car will be under £5k, and a perfectly restored one with full photo history of the work done will be only a little over £10k even if £40k+ has been spent on the restoration (don't take any notice of advertised prices - they are usually ridiculously optimistic).

It would be most unusual for a car of this age to be original. Chances are it's had work done to the body, even if it's been in a rust-free zone. It would need a careful inspection to see what it's like and what needs doing.

Oh, dear, now to the tricky bit - I could be interested. I run a 1966 E-Type Roadster and have often thought about pairing it with a decent Mk 2 for winter use. No, whatever it is I can't afford it - but if the right car comes up - well, that's what happens. Story of my life.

Please let me know either via the NG or direct email to me if we are haggling!!!!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

I have spoken to my father in law to get a bit more info, this is what he told me.

  1. The car is completely original - no restoration done. This is because it was in South Africa so the body hasn't deteriorated - exactly where in SA is unknown.
  2. Most the cars sent to South Africa didn't have leather interiors due to the climate but the original owner of this one requested the English interior.
  3. The car is on the road and working (I had a run out in it last week and it went well)
  4. As with the 3.8s it has limited slip diff.

  1. The mileage done is unknown.

  2. The car was made in 1966.

Points 1 and 2 makes the car quite unique.

Reply to
Rob J

In point 4 of my other message I should have said As with the UK 3.8s it has limited slip diff. As I implied that the car wasn't a 3.8 by missing out 'UK'

Reply to
Rob J

A couple of points - not nit-picking, just bitter experience - re 1. The body may well look rust free due to the SA climate, but bear in mind the car was built in the UK. Loads of box sections, normally bare metal inside, and full of "English air". It WILL have rusted somewhere!

re 2 - as you say, leather interior was unusual for a "colonial" car, but for a good reason. The climate may be kind to metal, but it's awful to leather and wood. Looks nice in your pictures but would want a closer inspection.

Also, re 5 - why?

Still interested, though!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Weren't they ckd kits built-up in SA?

Reply to
TF

Obviously you will need to see the car before you can put an offer in as you will want to give it a thorough check over and possibly be taken out for a drive in it.

As for point 5 I believe that when they received the car the speedo wasn't working, it wasn't difficult to fix though. I could be wrong on this. If you are generally interested then feel free to send me some contact details (pref phone number). I can then pass this onto my father in law and he will talk to you about it.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob J

Yes, I think they were, but the major components were shipped ready-made so the SA content was assembly rather than build.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie