Jaguar XJ6, sill ends and rustproofing

Hoping for advice, as usual:

My SIII XJ6 is still laid up awaiting a gearbox. If I can get time I might address a couple of other issues with it, one being the sills. Mine are rusted at the front

I'm under the impression it's common for the sill ends to rust through at the front (where a mudflap would be, if fitted). True? And and acceptable fix is to weld a plate on?

The rest of the sills are okay so I'm thinking of shooting some rustproofing gunk into the sills before getting them welded up. Any recommendations as what to use and how best to get good coverage (- warm Waxoyl through a lance??)

Finally, I guess the sill rust is an MOT failure? My car's got a current MOT but I soon poked the sills though when inspecting it... dodgy cert?

TIA Sean

Reply to
MB

Yes.

An MoT certificate only says that the car was roadworthy at the time that the vehicle was inspected. Of course much depends on how hard the inspector pokes the sills.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not hard enough I suspect, Steve. Before I got the car I think it came out of a Jag garage as an unwanted p/x so they may have MOTed it themselves.

(For information of other readers - I deleted my original post in error. Basically asking if sill rust is common on the XJ6 (probably) and how best to rustproof the sills from the inside out.)

Reply to
Sean

Sill rot is fairly common on Series IIIs, not sen any on the XJ40s yet. Depending on where it is, it's an acceptable repair to cut out the rot and let in new steel, *but* the need to cut back to good steel can mean replacing the entire sill. As you thought, hot Waxoyl is a good way to prevent further rust. But *don't* do what a friends brother did and heat the tin on a gas burner. The explosion and fireball stripped the skin from the lower half of his body and nearly killed him. You heat Waxoyl by standing the container in a hot water bath, no naked flames.

There is a special probe for use when rustproofing box sections it looks like a length of nylon tube with a nail in the end. Poke it down the box section to the end, start the spray an slowly pull the tube out. The "nail" produces a 360 degree spray of Waxoyl so the entire inside gets coated evenly.

Reply to
Steve Firth