Jensen Interceptor 440 - Help needed!!!

.. and not just cos we bought one.

I suspect the ignition timing is miles out on it, runs well above around

1500 rpm, but is rough as hell below. Sounds lovely, but it's a bit disconcerting when it spits flames through the carb when I'm trying to start it... starts first time when cold though.

The engine has had a full, *mega* expensive rebuild, and the whole bloody car has only done 16,900 miles from new anyway.

Problem is, I don't really want to do the timing by ear and guesstimate it, so does anyone know the correct procedure for setting the timing on one?

Set to how many degrees, etc, at what speed idle?

Ta!

Reply to
Pete M

Ah, high maintenance vehicle! :-) I never had one but always wanted one although I did have a Jensen Healey. I found the Jensen Owner's club very helpful (and I don't like clubs!) and better still, the Jensen mailing list. Unfortunately, they can be pigs for reliability which put me off, but I suggest you get a good workshop manual and keep it near the car! :-) Sorry I can't tell you about the timing etc, but it is a Chrysler engine so the yanks on the mailing list would be the best source of info. Is the 440 the same as the SP with triple carbs?

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

In the days of the wooden boilers,the clever clogs at this time decided that there were 360 days in a year,so the world was devided into 360 days or degrees,and this method is still in use today for measuring or dividing circles.just think of a clock face,it is divided into 60 minutes, so

360/60=6 that is each minute is equal to 6 degrees. tdc is marked on the pully so set ignition to 2 minutes to twelve, final adjustment on the road test.

... .

Reply to
robert grant

Reply to
robert grant

In news:d3lcc6$fet$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, Pete W decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Unfortunately not. All the convertibles had the lower power 440 in.

This one has had the Carter 4 barrel replaced by a rather huge Holley 750 double pumper on an Edelbrock manifold though, so it shouldn't be far off on power.

Around 330 bhp I believe.

Reply to
Pete M